Powerful Chrome OS tablet with EMR and USB 3.1 for $329? Yes please!

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It has tilt but no pressure sensitivity?!? They bothered to put in two coils for tilt function but no load sensor?!? HOW DOES THAT EVEN MAKE SENSE!???!

YVerloc and artistebot like this.
  2. Shogmaster

So according to that article, Apple uses BT for pressure data. That's really weird. No other pro cap active pen set up does this. Can anyone venture a guess for that set up?

artistebot likes this.
  3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I always said it was this way.
    It's always been this way when it comes to iPad styluses.

4. Shogmaster

That's because those 3rd party pens are trying to deal with non active pro cap digitizer. That doesn't explain to me why Apple themselves would do it that way when pro cap digitizers are capable of passing pressure data without BT and all other active pro cap set ups do it without BT for pen functions.

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I always thought the true nature of the Apple Pencils "Bluetooth" requirement was somewhat....suspect-able.

For their first modern try...Apple pretty much knocked it out of the park (in my opinion anyway).......but why then does literally every other Bluetooth Pen suck like crazy? Like if Apple could create a purely Bluetooth based Pen.....surely Wacom or Samsung could as well, not to mention the numerable other vendors who made Bluetooth Active Pens for the ipad over the years.....all of which have collectively sucked compared to the pencil.

One thing the Pencils Bluetooth definitely does do....thru iOS it can tell you Pens remaining Battery Life. (Which can also come in handy when you lose the pen and can't remember if you left it in the car, at home, at work, or a different room, etc...)

6. Azzart

Because it proved to work well enough on the ipads?
    To register pressure with the active digitizer you need to have a controller that can understand the signal variations in the first place. It costs developing something like this from scratch. And also others already have patents for this.
    Why bother then when you can use Bluetooth?

7. Shogmaster

Did it though? All those 3rd party BT active pens are terrible, especially with pressure curve.

I doubt there is enforceable patent since N-Trig's DuoSense didn't stop Synaptic and Wacom from developing their own copies. They work pretty much the same as DuoSense 2. No one else looked that DuoSense and said, "you know what we need? BT."...

artistebot likes this.
  8. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

I read the Apple Pencil patent before but I don't remember how the Apple Pencil delivers pressure data. I also dimly remember journalists claiming tilt data is sent through Bluetooth but that's clearly false, there are side-emitters that let the capacitive digitizer estimate tilt. Super-easy way to check: turn off Bluetooth and see if inking still has tilt and pressure sensitivity. I would not trust a random tech journalist though, they tend to get their facts wrong. Recently Lenovo announced the Yoga 730 15 and gave several news sites hands-on access. They reported the removal of the Thunderbolt 3 port... even though it's clearly visible on the machine, with the Thunderbolt logo, in the high-res pictures they had on their articles... Only one site reported the correct information.

Digitizer technology is far more mysterious than USB ports, so I don't trust journalists to get it right.

artistebot likes this.
  9. Shogmaster

Unfortunately the Apple Pencil stops working when you unpair the BT so I don't know how you could test it...

10. Azzart

I have had plenty of bluetooth styluses and they worked flawlessly when it comes to pressure. The first gen Intuos Creative Stylus with the big 5mm rubber nib in particular was great in that regard. Certainly better than my old Portege M400.
    And since it worked and they (Apple) had plenty of data from people and developers who used it on their machines to build upon, why going for a different tech solution they would need to develop from from scratch?

It isn’t a secret Apple Pencil sends pressure data through Bluetooth. You can ask any developer and they will confirm it to you.