Powerful Chrome OS tablet with EMR and USB 3.1 for $329? Yes please!

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Also, Linux (and Krita) would be a snap to run on this.

WillAdams likes this.
  2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Even though OP1 is newer, it's using 28nm HKMG process vs Samsung's 14nm FinFET for the SD821. However, SD821 has much mre capable GPU vs OP1 so actual die size of the chips could be similar... But given the process nodes, I don't see OP1 being more efficient.

IIRC Chromebook Plus was announced with Exynos, but switched to OP1 sometime before launch. OP1 (Rockship RK3399) caused a bit of controversy when it was announced since Google didn't really reveal who made it and what the actual specs were. IMO it's an attempt by Google to set a future baseline for Android and Chrome OS SoC, and it's 2x A72/4x A53 big.LITTLE set up should make for a nice baseline for the future.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    artistebot and bloodycape like this.
  3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I guess its a way around the Samsung exclusive EMR agreement with Wacom since this is technically not an Android device, but running a Chrome OS with Android functionality?

It would be pretty cool to get another more affordable large screen Android device with power especially since this was recently announced: https://www.cartoonbrew.com/sponsor...version-looks-ahead-exciting-2018-155702.html

Would be curious what the Acer driver and brand experience will be like, since we only have S-Pen to compare to, and they've done an outstanding job of implementing the Wacom EMR tech into their phones and tablets IMO. Or am I behind the times and other Chrome OS devices with EMR have been able to use Android apps in the past?

artistebot and WillAdams like this.
  4. Shogmaster

Wait, does Samsung have exclusivity for EMR on Android? Where did you hear that? Samsung only owns 5% or something of Wacom. Is that enough leverage to enforce exclusivity?

I just thought EMR was losing out to pro cap based active pens because of added cost and size of burying a second digitizer under the LCD just for the pen function.

I think use of EMR still exists in mobile space for couple reasons:

1. when the SoC is very low in performance - e.g. with many penabled eReaders, they usually only rock a low clock single core ARM SoC, so you can't spare CPU cycles on smooth inking experience. Wacom's EMR boards have lots of ASIC for pen calculations so you can offload all that from the CPU.

2. When you want a thin and cheap pen that fits inside a silo. Nothing beast EMR for that. All those skinny sticks that don't require a battery is EMR's jam.

bloodycape and WillAdams like this.
  5. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Apple have been doing badly in the US education market due to high chromebook sales and are apparently releasing some new device or making some form of announcement tonight with speculation of a sub $300 iPad with A9 processor.

Pen vs stylus in the classroom methinks, I can't see Apple trying to put a pencil in their new education tablet. (However if they did, I'd buy it straight off at <$300.)

artistebot likes this.
  6. Shogmaster

They already announced it. 9.7" iPad with A10 and Apple Pencil support for $320 before edu discount ($309 for students, $299 for institutions).

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It’s more of a collective conjecture many of us hold given the timing of things.

Wacom debuts their own Windows Tablet PCs....just as Samsung complely bows out of Windows Tablet PCs....at the same time....Tablet PC EMR was almost phased out....nearly completely by AES. Coupled with no one else putting out Penabled Android devices.

And then as soon as Samsung started putting out Windows Tablets again with the S-Pen........HP, Dell, and Acer start rocking EMR again shortly after.

Despite the legitimate benefits AES offers that make it more attractive....the timing just seems very suspicious. More likely....Wacom deliberately had a hand in phasing out EMR to lessen competition for the Cintiq Companions and Mobile Studio Pros, and probably had a hand in making Samsung go Android only for a time.

But regardless of whatever their backdoor arrangements were a few years ago.....the return of EMR, and the every existence of the Dell Canvas and ZBook indicate that the plan has clearly changed.

stoneseeker likes this.
  8. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Apparently the pencil will sell for $85 - or you can buy the Logitech "crayon" for $45 - a cheap little 9inch cintiq equivalent for my MacBook if I run Astropad.

Hmmm - though apparently there are more than just Acer tablets with digitisers coming for education. Dell's new 5000 series has stylus support and there are more cheap chrome books with stylus support coming...

Dell 5000 - EMR digitiser
    HP ProBook x360 11 Education Edition - presuming EMR
    Acer Chromebook Spin 11 - Wacom EMR
    Asus Chromebook Flip C213 - Wacom EMR

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  9. Shogmaster

LOL EMR is busting out in Chromebook land, probably due to existing Android support for tilt and ruggedized chassis making thinness moot. Also the battery free pens are better than ones needing them, cheaper to replace, and EMR digitizer board have built in ASIC that make it perform better on low powered devices.

10. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

I'd like one if I knew for sure it can act as wireless display / miracast sink - and with a quality native app like Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Plus, not the beta-quality stuff from PlayStore!