Powerful Chrome OS tablet with EMR and USB 3.1 for $329? Yes please!

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

https://liliputing.com/2018/03/acers-first-chrome-os-tablet-is-coming-in-april-for-329.html

"The new Acer Chromebook Tab 10 is a 9.7 inch tablet that runs Google’s Chrome operating system, supports Android apps, and has no keyboard (although Acer plans to offer optional cases later this year, including with a Bluetooth keyboard).

It’s a 1.2 pound tablet with with a 2048 x 1536 pixel display, a Rockchip OP1 processor (also known as RK3399), and it comes with a Wacom EMR stylus for writing or drawing.

The tablet is designed for the education market, and should ship in the US in April for $329."

[​IMG]

I'm most excited about that USB 3.1 port, because that's enough bandwidth to feed 2048x1536 x24bit color @60Hz no problem. Someone could write an app for this thing that let's you use it as a pen display for a PC pretty easily!

2. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A part of me is really tempted to get this because that price is close to good(would have been better if that was $300 or 64gb at that price). It would be interesting to see how the OP1 compares to other ARM based Chromebook devices and how it compares to the Intel based ones too. Also, really surprising it's EMR would have really thought AES since it's Acer.

3. Shogmaster

OP1 is all over the current Chromebook lineups (Samsung Chromebook Plus, Asus Chromebook Flip C101 etc.).

As for vs say Celeron N3350 dual core in performance, OP1 (RK3399) score better in Geekbench in multicore scores (low 3000s vs mid 2000s). Celeron does better in single core scores (~1300 vs ~1500).

artistebot likes this.
  4. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

I think, performance wise the Tab S3 Snapdragon 802 is faster that the OP1?

I wonder if the the Acer pen has a side button as the Chromebook Plus does not?

If the port can output video that would be cool, the USB-C port of the Tab S3 cannot.

5. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, this is interesting. I'm a big fan of my chromebook plus. It's currently my main machine. But, OneNote likes to crash, and when it did that in a lesson at home yesterday (I'm usually in the studio without all my other options), I grabbed the next closest tablet with OneNote and a pen and that happened to be the iPad Pro. Turns out OneNote on iOS is WAY BETTER than android. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. It's just been so long since I last had and used an iPad. I've been watching craigslist to see if I'd like to pick up a little Pro also, but I'm still pretty happy with the tab A for now.

I'll probably buy one anyway.

artistebot likes this.
  6. Shogmaster

You are correct. SD820 edges out OP1 in single core slightly (~1300/~1400) while noticeably in multicore (mid 4000/low 3000).

I would be using a third party full sized EMR pen anyways.

No way it would do it out of the box. You have to write a custom app to brute force the display frame buffer and pen and touch data through the USB-C to the host PC.

artistebot likes this.
  7. artistebot

Having video out would be nice!

On the Chromebook Plus, I have found that the pen side button on "other" stylus does not get detected in Android painting apps or the UI.

Another nice feature on Android art apps is the ability to assign in-app functions (undo and redo usually) to the hardware volume rocker. I could not get this to work on the CB+.

Could be a Android/Chrome thing?

Still glad to see more tablets w stylus!

8. Shogmaster

Oh wait, we are talking about video out. I was talking about video IN, for Cintiq purposes.

artistebot likes this.
  9. artistebot

whoops....LOL

Yes IN would be great!

10. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A bit concerning seeing as I have a Pixel XL with the 821 and would at least like my tablet to be equal or faster than my phone. How is power usage of the OP1 vs the SD82x line? Also, thought Samsung Plus was Exynos?