Powered USB Ports

Discussion in 'Electrovaya' started by penmagic, Jan 27, 2006.

1. dunlaing

dunlaing Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been looking at various tablets for a while now. I'm an artist and I will go to Best Buy just to draw on the tablets that they have there, so I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy drawing on a tablet of my own.

Anyway, the Electrovaya Scribbler seems like a very nice slate, but the fact that the USB ports are unpowered is distressing. I've had a USB drive that wouldn't work in non-powered ports.

I don't know much about PCMCIA USB cards, though. If I get one of those and put it in the PCMCIA slot of a Scribbler, will it be powered or unpowered? Or is there some other way of getting around this strange limitation of the Scribbler?

2. penmagic

penmagic Pen Pal - Newbie

i am in the middle of deciding what tablet to buy as well. i have spoken to sales reps at electrovaya several times. they all have said that all models of the scribbler 3000 that they sell these days have powered usb ports. i don't like that they haven't updated their website concerning this. they say they haven't so as not to upset the people who bought the 3000 with unpowered ports. so i am not crazy about their business tactics. on paper, it seems like the best one out there, but as for performance and the company... i also wasn't crazy about the lag btwn writing to text with word on the tablet--supposedly a brand new one--i tested a few weeks ago. this didn't seem to happen with the fujitsu, toshiba or ibm i tested. one other thing: they have a 15% restocking fee for returns and a third party warranrty which seems strange to me, too. does anyone else have thoughts on this?