Powerbanks for Companion 1/ Mobile Studio

Discussion in 'Artists' started by ticol, Oct 26, 2017.

1. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

I'm actually looking for a powerbank to use with my Cintiq Companion 1.
    I searched a lot and couldn't find clear answers.

What I understand :
    - I need sufficient power : 19V and more than 3.42 A
    - I'm not sure on what I my need in term of maximum capacity : is 20000mA.h a lot ?
    My aim would be to let's say at least double my battery time. Today I can use it during around 4 hours on the battery (mainly photoshop / illustrator and Clip Studio, 2D drawing). If I could reach 8 hours of totla using (so 4 hours more) it would be great. More would be awesome.

Then there's the question of the connector.
    I don't know if the Companion 1 connector is something standard. I can measure it : it's around 2.1 mm external diameter and 5.5 mm long. But is it built standard and then are the common connectors sold with the powerbanks will fit or do I need something really specific that only a few powerbanks builders will provide ?

And the final thing is I'm not american... And when I find something that seems interesting, as the OmniCharge 20 for example (which, by the way, I'm not 100% sure is OK for the Companion 1), it's not sold in France.

So, if someone has answers to give me, I will be very grateful :)

Additional question : I'm thinking of upgrading my Companion in a Wacom Mobile Studio in a few monthes. Are there Power banks available ?

While I love my wacom devices for their comfort and technical performances, I don't undesrtand why it's so difficult to get informations about such a trivial question of an external powerbank.

2. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@ticol 5.5x2.1 is a fairly standard connector, and 19V is the most common voltage. I would recommend a Vinsic 30000mah powerbank, it's good and cheap, and most notably sold internationally on eBay for less than $70 shipped unlike most competitors which are cheap in USA and China but cost an arm and a leg elsewhere.

Neither 20000 nor 30000 is really a lot, and due to voltage conversion you're looking at ~70% efficiency - but should be enough to double the battery life and doesn't weight too much; note that powerbanks over 32000mah are not allowed on planes.

Generally speaking, any 19V power bank without many negative reviews on Amazon will do.

3. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your quick and detailed reply @Starlight5 .
    This model is quite cheap (less than 60 €). Great news.

Regarding the connector, as I said, I don't know if the external dimesions are sufficient to know if it's ok or no.
    I read many articles where people bought non working powerbanks for theirs devices despite having connectors that fit in the slot.
    You know if the wacom one is specific or do you answer me just regarding the measurements I did ? Just to know if I have to investigate a little further or I already found the good powerbank :)

4. Starlight5

@ticol my answer is based on your measurements. Voltage is very important, too. I had that Vinsic, by the way - but it didn't work for my Thinkpad which requires 20V instead of 19V, yet worked with my Fujitsu 19V & 5.5x2.1mm connector - so I sold it.

Research PSU compatibility with Wacom device - if generic 19V 5.5x2.1mm PSUs are compatible then powerbanks are, too.

5. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

I just gave a phone call to Wacom who couldn't tell me the exact spec of the connector but assured me it was standard and not a proprietary design. My measurements are likely to be sufficient.
    Wacom compatibility is almost never listed but I think it's mainly due to the fact it's not a mainstream brand used by classical consumers.
    And regarding the voltage current spec, all I have is what is return on my actual PSU: 19v 3.42A

So your suggestion may work well. Thanks again.

6. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

@Starlight5
    So, I ordered and received the Vinsic 30000 mA.h and an adapator (I couldnt' find it alone so I had to buy it in a pack with a small power supply : the adpatator is 3mmx1.1mm).
    Things are strange now : when I connect the powerbank, my Cintiq sees it but it is written : "not in charge".
    But I set my cintiq on different luminosities depending on if it's powered by the battery or a power supply, and when the Vinsic is connected, luminosity changes to the power supply mode setting. So I guess, even if the Vinsic cannot charge the battery it can power the Cintiq.

What I don't get is that my battery is still used as I saw it's charge fall down during time.

I am waiting for it to be completely empty to see if the power bank will power sufficiently my Cintiq.

I don't understand why my battery is used with the powerbank connected...

Starlight5 likes this.
  7. Starlight5

@ticol maybe the one you received is faulty... this very powerbank charged my Fujitsu T734 while I was using it, which is definitely more power-hungry than Cintiq. I suggest you try the powerbank with different machine before making conclusions.

8. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

You may be right. I'll try it on my children's laptop to see how it works.
    I suspect that the connector may not be perfect too.
    Thanks for the advice.

9. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

@Starlight5
    Hello, everything works fine :)
    It took me some time to find the way to have this power bank working well but I found it !

I don't understand why but I discovered that after letting my cintiq some hours alone the power bank charged it.
    The only thing which happened is that the Wacom went in sleep mode. So this morning I made some tries :
    - Cintiq shut down : the powerbank charges it
    - Cintiq on, working on it : power bank detected but not charging the Cintiq
    - I put the tablet in sleep mode then back to working mode : powerbank charges it. And it came relatively fast to full charge while working in a classical way.
    And now battery is at 100% while the power bank acts as a classical power supply.

I still don't get why I have to pass through a sleep mode step. But it's not a problem : it works :)
    So thanks again for your advice regarding this power bank : I was looking at way more expensive models while this is one seems to fit my goal perfectly.

Total cost : less than 70 euros.
    I just have to find a longer cable now, because the one they give is very short.

Starlight5 likes this.