Power supply choices and ripple coil noise?

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Decatro, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Decatro

Decatro Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello for the first time guys :)

So I finally got myself the ep121 I've longed for ever since it was announced and i have to say that
    I'm fairly happy with it! I've been looking for a proper replacement since my old Fujitsu T5010 is getting
    a bit old.

So here's what happened, the ac adapter just decided to brick itself out of the blue only after a third day
    of usage, and since it's bought second hand the warranty is long gone.....which is my usual luck.

I decided to try using an universal adapter where and it seem to be working, however, the tablet started to
    make some high pitched whining sounds, with or without the AC adapter connected to it. I was quick to
    pull out the plug and listen while the unit was draining the last seconds of power out.

The powersupply was a Vanson 60 watt universal ac adapter with the specs:
    @ 19V, 3.16A. ( 0.08A too much! )

I read a few threads around the web, including here i think, that it's okay to use a bit more ampere, since
    the tablet SHOULD take in the amount of ampere it needs, but it seems like this wasn't the case. I believe
    that's the cause for this "coil whine" as some call it.

It's something you'd really notice if you sit in a normal room, or in class, so it's quite annoying.
    I ended up ordering Asus newly released 65 slim universal adapter instead (It's the only thing i can get hold of locally in sweden)

So here's what I'm wondering:

• Is it safe to keep using the Vanson 60w adapter, even if it gives 0.08A more than the original gives?
    • Is this whining noise fixable? I saw that asusparts.eu sells the IO chip which I can replace myself.
    • What do you guys think might be causing this "whining" noise? I believe the cpu/gpu might be damaged unfortunetly, since it still whine without the adapter connect...
    • Is there other ways I can charge the tablet?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. GiGo

GiGo Pen Pal - Newbie

3. Decatro

Decatro Pen Pal - Newbie

I actually got hole of one of their re-branded universal ac adapters, unfortunetely it does not come with a tip that fits into the slate! I even contacted Asus to see if they can manage to send me a proper plug/ tip for it, but it turns out they don't
    take responsibility to provide a proper tip to their own products.

Otherwise it works fine, I just had to do a little tinkering with the old ac adapter's cable to put something together.