Power adapter becomes/became excessively hot.

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by keith11, Aug 16, 2007.

1. keith11

keith11 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi everyone,
    I just received a shock, when I touched my power adapter. It was extremely hot and I wasn't even able to hold it for more than a second, actually not even a second. I could barely touch it and I noticed the connecting wires seemed equally hot at the connections with the adapter. I have noticed the adapter getting hot, but never this hot, not in this laptop or any other laptop. It's just been a week of ownership. Anyone else experiencing something like this? I am assuming this is normal, although I can't get over the heat I experienced when I touched the adapter as it was just too hot. It was so hot that my instant reaction was to just unplug it fearing it might just blow. It seems I might have burnt my fingers a little and I am not exaggerating. People spend so much money on products thinking they are getting the best but then such things happen...it's a little disappointing.

Keith.

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Keith.. two questions:-
    1. Were you using the Tablet AND charging at the same time?
    Doing this puts a lot of strain on power adaptors and if it is underrated it will become excessively hot.

2. What power rating is your adaptor?
    Is it 65W?

3. keith11

My adapter is 65 W as mine is the X61t, the 7764-cto model with the SXGA+. I used it as a tablet only for a few minutes, not for an extended period of time and yes, while I was using it as a tablet, it was charging too. But as I said, I used it as a tablet only for a few minutes. I still don't believe it was that hot. Do you think this is normal? Granted that I don't have much experience with tablets, but it doesn't seem right for a normal laptop either.

Keith.

4. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The adaptor on my R1 can become hot enough to be uncomfortable to hold but burning your fingers in less than a second seems to be in a whole different league. I'd ask for a replacement.

5. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It may be faulty but I would like to hear from another user who has the 65W adapter.

Personally I would use the 90W type as it has sufficient power to charge the battery AND power the Tablet at the same time.

6. smurfonarocket

smurfonarocket Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a 65w adapter for the X61t and it does get very hot to the touch, but that is only after a few hours of use with the ac adapter plugged in.

7. cheesyp18

cheesyp18 Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine is also 65W and I've never noticed it get hot. After a few hours of charging/usage of the tablet, it'll get a bit warm, but whenever I go to unplug it, the adapter is usually cooler than the tablet itself lol

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Scribbler - Standard Member

I have the 65W and when charging and on the Ultra Base it barely even gets warm.

9. keith11

Thank you for your inputs guys. I just want to make one thing clear that my adapter didn't get red hot (if i can use that terms for a black adapter) just after a few minutes of charging. Let me give you the whole picture:

I was using it with the adapter for some hours and during one of those hours I used it as a tablet for a few minutes and then I went back to using it in the laptop mode. After using it in the laptop mode for a while and then when I unplugged it, it was very hot.

@P8rson: I think everyone with an X61t has an adapter with 65W, isn't it? Is is possible to ask Lenovo for an adapter with more Wattage? If I said it got too hot they will just say it is normal.

Keith.

10. shadows

shadows Pen Pal - Newbie

Yep, I had the EXACT same problem. Called lenovo, they sent me a new adapter in 2 days and it works fine. From your previous comment it sounds like you called them and they said its normal? The person I talked to said it was definitely a problem and immediately suggested shipping a new one. Also does your adapter make a buzzy sqeaky noise? I think those 2 problems are related so you can make an excuse for having that problem. ;)

Edit: I would also like to know if there was an adapter with more wattage. :)