Potential Reasons for the Noisy Fans/Touchscreen clicking/Screen Issues

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by krfighter, Sep 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krfighter

krfighter Scribbler - Standard Member

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share my experience with my tablet.
    A lot of people here are complaining that they have noisy fans or touchscreen clicking.
    I have not had any issues with my tablet using it everyday from March until June, when I noticed slight yellow tinting. I RMA'd a month ago, and two weeks ago received it back. It was great again for about a week, and then touchscreen clicking started to happen, and then also another issue popped up.
    When I touch the top left corner of my unit, the screen goes fuzzy green.
    So I took apart my tablet and documented what I did.

I posted two videos on YouTube:
    Video 1
    The first one demonstrates how tablet is running with thermal sensor removed, and then put back. This should help people decide if their unit is running OK.

Video 2
    The second video shows where I added pieces of electrical tape to fix (at least as of now) my touchscreen clicking and weird screen issues.

I hope it helps.

P.S. If you decide to take apart your tablet, be VERY CAREFUL when you are removing the back cover, so you do not damage the thermal sensor cable

EDIT: it looks like the problem was in the ribbon cable right near the HDMI port. I have now one layer on top and on the bottom of that cable, and issues are absolutely gone. Will see how long it lasts.
    See attached picture:

[​IMG]

2. kamikaze458

kamikaze458 Scribbler - Standard Member

awesome info. thx for sharing!

3. JackBFlippinNimble

JackBFlippinNimble Scribbler - Standard Member

I couldn't get the youtube vids to work, but the pic was very helpful. I don't have any issues yet, since March, but you never know. Great job, and +1!

4. krfighter

btw, I assume that the thermal sensor is most probably resistance thermocouple (RTD), and I have some equipment in my lab. I could try to measure the resistance, so people could potentially fix the issue by attaching a new sensor, or simply a new resistor, since this tablet does not seem to overheat ever. I always run it on max turbo.

5. Luiscl

Luiscl Pen Pal - Newbie

the last message states that "I always run it on max turbo." Can anybody tell me how can I set this in windows or if it is necessary any other app? thanks.

6. artemis2029

artemis2029 Pen Pal - Newbie

Great Krfighter !! I'm having some self clicking screen too. Can you confirm that your self clicking screen is as ours : the cursor jump to the almost top right and clicks ?

7. krfighter

@Luiscl:
    You need free software ThrottleStop to force it into the turbo mode.
    See attached screenshot with settings
    [​IMG]

@artemis2029:
    Exactly this issue. When it first happened, I was shocked how annoying it can be. Even though every time it would happen, I would start fiddling around with tablet and I was able to stop it every time by knocking/pressing on the left side of the tablet.

8. Pirohmaniac

Pirohmaniac Pen Pal - Newbie

Keep us informed. I don't think it will stop the clicking.

9. krfighter

so far, so good. It has been five days and not a single problem. I am very happy with my tablet now.

10. furythree

furythree Pen Pal - Newbie

sorry i dont get it, so did u end up removing the sensor or not. and how did it fix the fan issue. mines always 4000rpm or higher from cold boot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.