Post your Tablet PC art! (some images might not be safe for work)

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by frog, Jan 16, 2009.

1. AmbiDextrose

AmbiDextrose Scribbler - Standard Member

Like everything, it just take some practice, Meso. I'm a software performance engineer so I work with Queuing Theory, Little's Law, and a whole bunch of statistics I didn't think would be useful outside passing a class. On top of that, I'm a parent of three under-teenaged girls (twins and a single). I've always felt like if I didn't have an outlet, I'd soon as go bonkers.

I used to build scale models and then 3D models but those things take time. So I started bringing a sketchbook and started sketching during lunch breaks or even conference call where I could stay in my cube. I made the transition to digital sketching around six years ago when I bought my first TabletPC - a Toshiba M7. Was too heavy to lug around so I bought a Samsung Slate 7 about four years ago. Eventually, my wife brought me a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 when my previous smartphone started dying and have been sketching on the thing almost daily.

The sketches don't have to be finished pieces - a lot of times, I'll practice certain skills like anatomy or proportions or thumbnails or gestures or attempt to draw from life. A lot of times, I'll just try to get an idea I have down on the screen so I can work on it later when I have the time or inclination so most of my sketches are what you'd probably call "doodles" - very unfinished.

And the good news is that it has kept me same. For the most part. I don't have to be as good as Shog or Dark or Stone or Ballistic because I don't make my living off it or have any aspirations to do so in the near future - I just have to be good enough to enjoy it and want to keep doing it. And bit-by-bit, you do get better the more you stick with it.

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

So AmbiDextrose is referring to your multitalented mind then? =P

I agree practice helps with everything, but I do think there is underlying talent involved. Maybe if I devoted enough time to it I could become OK at drawing, but I really doubt I could ever be great at it.

I can't speak to art, but in my areas of expertise I ran into people (mostly in college) that worked a lot harder than I did, but clearly just didn't have the ability. Hard work and practice can take you a long way, but I think talent plays a big role in how high you can go with it.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. AmbiDextrose

AmbiDextrose Scribbler - Standard Member

Multi-talended? Pshaw! If you ask my wife, she'll tell you that my one-and-only talent is spinning a great yarn to get myself out of sticky situations- without breaking the law.

I guess I would liken this to bowling. My wife is a very avid and talented bowler. I am not. I used to bowl because I liked doing stuff with her but nowadays, I bowl because I've come to enjoy it myself because it's fun. I'm not in any way shape or form good enough to compete with her head-to-head but I feel I've improved compared to when I started.

That was a lame example but you get the idea.

4. Mesosphere

Yea, I get your point =)

5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I tend to work mainly on the Cintiq Companion due to me being faster with that and I'm on an extremely busy schedule in these days, but this one was done entirely on my beloved Surface Pro 3 i3 (and Photoshop)
    And I have to say I really enjoyed working on it. After years of departure me and Photoshop are becaming friends again. :)

Illinois_Spread.jpg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  6. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

Most of the engineers I know who started doing art like rules a lot (looooove rules, more like), so they are way more comfortable learning to draw realistically but get very uncomfortable 'making stuff up'. I feel like the bar for engineering is more clearcut and if you don't have the relevant base brainpower for it, you're not going to be able to do any sort of engineering, whereas in art there's a very broad scope of applications with different requirements -- ie I have amazing photorealist painter friends, loose, super-creative concept artists and weird sculptors, animators, lighting artists, tech artists even -- all sorts of mixes across the board. Correct me if my assumption about engineering is wrong. :)
    I have seen terrible terrible people become unbelievably good via (focused) hard work, and also I've seen 'hardworking' people who just keep drawing the same thing over and over without ever addressing their weak subjects or learning fundamentals (because it's hard).
    Come to think of it, the number of people I've known who started out with exceptional/effortless drawing ability is almost zero. Maybe 1 kid I knew who was drawing incredible birds and insects by the time he was 8-9...but he became an engineer. :)
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sh...-pro-a-list-of-CA-s-epic-progress-sketchbooks
    You go Meso you go!

Mesosphere likes this.
  7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Falling hard for Infinite Painter on Android still. Discovered the harmony brushes and a potentially brilliant way to brainstorm new ideas and sketch happy accidents with the "sketchy" brush. I love the way it allows me to get so much textured shading in a quick messy stroke or two. I managed these totally random sketches with this tool in extremely short order. Roughly 10 minutes for the face and 5 minutes for the fox. Super fun to use!

Fox sketchy.jpg
    Arablord sketchy.jpg

Precurve, balistic, Azzart and 2 others like this.
  8. Mesosphere

Rules?

I have a feeling maybe I should know what that is. Like engineering sketches? LOL.

I'm an engineer in name only basically. I did my undergrad in physics and math and joined the EE department in grad school purely because my advisor was in that department (who also does no "engineering"). Even as part of the EE department I did atmospheric science (even for my courses except for a few).

9. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

So you're a scientist engineer?
    Well now you can diversify into art-mospheric science :) You're already in this thread now!

10. Muzun

Muzun Pen Pal - Newbie

I m an engineer too. Well, i m not an artist but i can draw :) i belive it is all about passion. I know some one who can not even draw stickman became an artist ;)

fishdavis likes this.