Post your Tablet PC art! (some images might not be safe for work)

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by frog, Jan 16, 2009.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The further away lens looks larger than the nearer one but still this has a good feel to it.

T-ravisty likes this.
  2. doobiedoobiedum

car copy.jpg

Trying to get to grips with Sketchbook Pro again after a few years not using it. Began to overwork the image so I went back to a less finished stage. Some perspective "cheats" hidden in there.

ron2k_1 likes this.
  3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

yep. Immediately stood out to me too. That simple perspective fix (liquify is your friend!) and it will take it up a notch for sure! The quality of work in here is gradually increasing a fair amount. diggin' it!

4. Jamie-B

Jamie-B Scribbler - Standard Member

Mainly been doing traditional lately, but here's some quick digital ones:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2014
    IsaacKuo likes this.
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just attended a Live Drawing Session this past weekend. Not nude models, but it was a local Dr Sketchy Branch and the theme was Superheros, and the venue used was a comic book shop. The venue had an outlet so I decided to use my Samsung Series 7 Slate in lieu of my Thinkpad Tablet 2 (that has been getting increasingly unstable). The Below Sketches were done via Manga Studio 5, with the 20-min Catwoman Sketch being done in Photoshop CS5

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

An another picture I'm going to share is a photo taken at the event....that quite well captures me in my Tablet PC using entierety. You can clearly see the Tablet PC, the Smudge Guard, and the Nostromos Game Pad used for Keyboard Shortcuts, and even the AC Adaptor plugged into the Wall outlet. Just thought it just represented the epitome of Digital Life Drawing

[​IMG]

6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Someone linked to this great little car being developed. I REALLY like the idea behind the car (less than $7000, 80mpg HWY/50 mpg CITY), thought it needed a redesign.

[​IMG]

RizaCifra, ron2k_1 and IsaacKuo like this.
  7. Shogmaster

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2014
    doobiedoobiedum and ron2k_1 like this.
  8. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Cars are so freaking hard to draw. The human eye is forgiving when it comes to animals, people and even structures like houses that are badly drawn, out of proportion/perspective; but not with Cars!

If you ever have a chance, can you (or doobiedoobiedum as he also has a background in car design) put together a lil tut on how you go about setting up your sketch for perspective, form, (proportions and lighting if your time allows). Cheers

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

9. Shogmaster

I'll do up for you when I have time to do a video.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2014
    stoneseeker and T-ravisty like this.
  10. doobiedoobiedum

Hi Ron, I don't remember any easy ways to do this beyond lots and lots of practice.

Regarding perspective - don't get too caught up with it. Create a light box grid to work from but don't let it dictate everything. A major trick I learned early on was to "cheat" the far side wheel in any 3/4 sketch to make the drawing look lively and "fast." Usually this meant drawing the far side wheel a bit bigger and a bit nearer the front corner of your drawing.

here's an accurate(ish) perspective)

[​IMG]

and here's a "cheat"

[​IMG]

Not my sketches but the 2nd one uses the classic cheat - the front wheel on the far side is nearer the corner than it should be.

Also on perspective - straight lines are just for the underlay - always use a slight curve on your drawing. You can see that clearly in Shogmaster's drawings - put a ruler up against the bottom line of the body panels and you'll see he's curved that line.

[​IMG]

You can see in the underlay above that the artist is curving nearly everything and that's pretty good practice.

I believe Shogmaster has a drawing somewhere on proportion but the guidelines are more general usually. If you're trying to be really accurate then download a real image of a car and work over the drawing in a new layer to give you the proportions you want.

[​IMG]

The sketch above has clearly unrealistic wheels but they look good and bring an aggressive look to the drawing.

Lighting - the drawing killer in any studio; the saying drummed into our heads was "pick a light source and obey it" - pick your major light source for shading and stick to it. The book "Rendering Techniques" by Dick Powell was our bible but the drawing below illustrates the basic principles -

[​IMG]

Remember that a car is basically a shiny cylinder and light travels along the length of the cylinder - shadows and highlights have to obey your light source.

The thing I rarely ever see or find mentioned in tutorials is the "core line" which could be dark or light in a drawing and this is generally the shading of the corner of the curve between top panel and side panels. The core line is incredibly important and tells the clay modeler just how the shape of the car works in 3D. The Ferrari core line is one of the most famous in history and was based around the shape of a woman's front figure profile.

To be honest - I couldn't find any clear examples on the internet of a good core line. I know they exist in car design studios. A lot of the sketchbook pro images I found have cores all over the place.

[​IMG]

This one's a good one - you have the main core which then runs into the secondary core along the front window.

None of the drawings are my drawings!