Post your Tablet PC art! (some images might not be safe for work)

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by frog, Jan 16, 2009.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Trying out some different drawing video techniques. With the Dell Canvas 27.

Side question for the board:

I'd like to get a more powerful computer.

Currently, I'm running my permanent studio desk off a used Dell Latitude E6440 with 16Gb.

It was fine until I started getting into this video stuff. It's choking a bit when I push it like this. Any recommends for a computer capable of video capture without getting bogged down? I generally like laptops because they have built-in UPS systems and power conditioners and they're nice and quiet.

I'm looking for cheap-ass on eBay. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What utility are you using for screen capture right now? If you're on Windows 10 you could try the built-in screen recorder, which should be resource-optimized. Otherwise I've found FSCapture to be very lightweight (though not free). If you're looking for an opensource/freeware alternative, maybe give ShareX a try.

I think for simple drawing captures your i5-4300M should be able to handle it. You could try installing the IntelXTU to unlock/overclock your CPU if necessary, but you shouldn't have to buy a whole new system imo.

3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just get an Elgato capture device for couple hundies or less. No guarantee that you "new" machine will handle software capture much better than your current one.

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm currently using OBS Studio. Free and full-featured, if a little buggy at times. I just went with what everybody else on YouTube seemed to be using.

I'm using a pretty good capture device. One of these...
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00Y3U01RU/r
    [​IMG]

It was my second try, (I tried brand El Cheap-o before, but the image quality was poor).

The funny thing is, everything works well enough, and the video and screen captures are piped correctly with no slow-downs. It's only when I start recording that something is bottle necking. I noticed that the slowdown is less when I cut the video capture resolution from 1080p to 720. It's a data flow issue.

~~~~~~~ Time passes ~~~~~~~~

Ehn. Nevermind. I ran some tests. It only happens on ridiculously huge documents. I was working with a canvas at 22000 x 30000 with 22 layers. When I open up something normal (for me) 6000 x 8500, it works fine.

I should be amazed that the super-huge canvas works without trouble at all before adding video work on top of that.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Marty likes this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Trying out some different drawing video techniques...>>

OH MY GOD! You removed Jenny's head! You're a Monster!!!

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Sketching a hangry T-Rex on my old Fujitsu T902 with Clip Studio Paint. Took a while to construct that pose bc I pulled that pose out of my butt (and I was explaining at the same time, but just replaced the babble with random background musak). Recorded using OBS Studio.
    Plz use Youtube's 2X playback feature to speed it up if it gets too boring watching in real time.