Post your Tablet PC art! (some images might not be safe for work)

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by frog, Jan 16, 2009.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This immersive 3D stuff is really getting good, isn't it?

Though, until some decent version of tactile feedback comes along, it's still working with holograms. Dancing with smoke and drawing on air.

I think there might be a parallel of sorts between that, and the relationship between with those blind Wacom Intuos tablets and Draw-On-The-Screen machines. One of the senses is cut out of the normal equation.

I wonder if you could embed a bunch of RFID sensors in a blob of clay or something, and mix that with 3D cameras..?

2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A huge amount of current digital 3D creature design owes its genesis to Giger's 1970's designs though - even the guy in the video! Would be great to see something really different in digital creature design.

Sometimes I wonder though - because there is no reference to judge against (such as when you sculpt the human form) you can get away with all sorts of poor design choices. Who's to judge that the "eye" or "teeth" on your character are wrong or the proportions are out?

That would kill me, my background is the world of car design / automotive modelling and surface is king there. As soon as a sensor comes to the surface of the clay and my "tool" is hitting it I'd be so frustrated. Maybe I'm thinking too much about the real world though as the benefit of a digital sculpt would be to print that off and discard the clay with sensors.

What really attracts me in digital sculpture is the ability to scale right up to get into the details that the human hand physically cannot accomplish right now. And the undo button!

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

One of the reasons I love this site is that it's not my website or an official release channel. So I can share cool secret stuff I'm working on without my regular readers catching wise...

trees-small.png

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Line art that includes depth of focus effects, now I've seen it all! :)

Great stuff, love the atmosphere.

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

...But she'd better check for ticks, later!

Realistic!

Azzart and thatcomicsguy like this.
  6. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks Mark, I alway love your posts, this one has very nice composition elements.

Cheers

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

One more comment on the depth of field effect, do you fake it just by using wider brushes for the foreground image? If so I wonder if it could be easier to draw the foreground on a different layer / set of layers, and apply a Gaussian blur to only those layers.

8. thatcomicsguy

As with most neat effects, (for me, anyway; I know several artists who see clever visual effects in their mind's eye and get very strategic about it.), this just happened as a result of me not wanting to draw thick lines with a thin brush.

My "Pencil" is just a thin air brush, and when you increase the brush size the lines look like they're out of focus. Happy accident.

Half the trick is then recognizing what's happening and helping it along. It's sort of a "coolness/geek-out" feedback loop, -and one of the many reasons why I enjoy drawing! I'm easily entertained. :)

Art_N00b and JoeS like this.
  9. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Do you enjoy drawing on natural media (pencil or pen on paper) more or less than on a tablet? Why/why not? Feel free to geek out on the pros and cons. :)

10. thatcomicsguy

Ooooh. (Rubs hands.)

I've never really enumerated the two before in a list...

Overall, I enjoy the process of drawing on the tablet more. Quite a lot more, actually. -It's cleaner, faster, more convenient, more forgiving as a medium, reproduces perfectly, and it's physically a lot more comfortable. I don't have to squint and crunch into the artwork nearly as much, and that matters. I'm a tall guy and leaning and squinting for hours at a time was miserable even when I was still in my 20's. I don't put up with that crap now.

Except for when I do...

Drawing on paper is still fun, and I like to keep in trim; I still fill a few sketch pads every year and carry a physical art kit around in my backpack. You can't sell a digital sketch at a comic convention. Not easily anyway. People love paper. But I don't draw comics projects on paper any more. A fun or experimental sketch is rarely done on a clock, so if I'm feeling muscle fatigue, I can easily put it away and go do something else. With a deadline page, I can take a break, but have to get back to it. Digital makes is SO much easier to be kind to my body! I actually prefer my portable to my desktop Cintiq for that reason.

Hm. I still haven't enumerated a list yet.

Maybe it's time to write an article... That would be cool! -I'm sure somebody's done it already, but.., HAVE they?

I'll think about that after Moving Day.

wytn and Art_N00b like this.