Post Approval

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by Illustrator76, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Illustrator76

Illustrator76 I Draw Pictures

Hi,

I was just trying to see if I could find out why my posts (other than one) are not getting approved and posted? I was going to try contacting a moderator to find out why, but I am not allowed to use the private messaging system yet, so this is the only way that I can contact someone. I have been a contributor over at the Notebook Review Forums for quite a while and I haven't had a problem yet. Are things different here? Any help/clarification given (by a moderator) would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to use the e-mail that I signed up with to communicate if this is something that shouldn't be discussed on the forums.

Thank you!

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I was just trying to see if I could find out why my posts (other than one) are not getting approved and posted?..>>

Illustrator: We have a fairly heavy traffic of spammers on these forums. I routinely ban three to as many as five or six spammers every day (and I'm just one of the moderators here). We also get a lot of "members" whose sole purpose is to post links to products or ads. The site rules prohibit this: "...Advertising, spamming and trolling is not allowed..." Since all of us moderators have actual lives, we sometimes only have the time to scan proposed posts and make judgments on the fly. I suspect that one or more of your posts appeared to fall into this latter category, and was deleted. If that's what happened, I apologize on behalf of all of us; we try to make the forums as open as possible consistent with the need to maintain civility and order.

The good news, for you, is that now that you have more than five posts, you are no longer in the moderating queue. So feel free to post away!

3. Illustrator76

Hey, thanks for the quick reply Steve. No problem at all, I totally understand. When I designed and ran a 32 man Madden forum for a league I was running the spam got RIDICULOUSLY out of control. It got so bad that I had to set it up to where I manually activated the account for every single person that signed up to the forums. Luckily since it was only a 32 man league, I simply deleted the rejected accounts on the spot and moved on, but it was still somewhat of a headache. No apologies needed, as I totally understand what you guys are trying to do here. I am glad that it is sorted out and I look forward to contributing to the forums!.
    Thanks again!

4. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For the record, things are now the same way over at NBR, we have to approve quite a bit of new posts now, but it did cut down on the amount of spam we get and by a lot. The anti-spam filter flags posts from new members with links to be suspicious a bit too aggressively in my opinion, but it's better than the alternative.

You never saw any of it simply because you're a long time member and if you saw a message saying that your post needed approval over at NBR, it was probably when the anti-spam filter went nuts and started thinking everything was potential spam.

Nice seeing you over at TPCR too by the way and I can say you've got good laptop taste. ;)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  5. Illustrator76

Thanks for the heads up tijo. Yeah, I never noticed it much over at NBR probably because, like you said, I have been a longtime member and it never really affected me. Thanks for the compliment on the laptop, I LOVE my laptop, which is now my official desktop replacement PC. I will use my laptop for when I need more horsepower, but want to "work anywhere" while at home, and I will be using my Surface Pro to remain mobile when I'm mobile/away from home, lol.

6. gooface

gooface Pen Pal - Newbie

I wish that the accounts on this site were tied to NBR some how, it would be a nice feature if it was possible.

7. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not something that is easily implemented, though I do wish we had that.

8. TrackSmart

TrackSmart Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Folks. As a new user here, I checked the forum rules and still haven't seen anything written about new users being "moderated" for their first posts - which appears to be happening in my case. If there is some rule whereby a user needs at least 5 moderated posts (or whatever the number is) before they can post freely, it would be great if you guys posted that rule. Thanks!

9. TrackSmart

TrackSmart Pen Pal - Newbie

I can suddenly post things - maybe because I am in the 'help' forum? - or maybe I have reached the correct number of posts?
    To sum up, for a new user it is pretty off-putting when all of your posts on a forum don't appear due to a moderation requirement. A requirement that doesn't seem to be listed anywhere in the forum rules.

I am 100% on-board with SPAM control measures, but it seems like it would be nice if new users could click on the "Site Rules" link on the top of the page and find out why their posts are being moderated (hence delayed by a very long time) and for how long that is going to take place.

I've said my peace. Thank you moderators for your hard work in fighting spam.

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I can suddenly post things...maybe I have reached the correct number of posts?..>>

...You are well past the required number (at this point). Please go ahead and post freely.

Your suggestion is being discussed; my impression is that we will likely update the General Rules accordingly (but, as always, no guarantees).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.