Portege Z10t - I can't believe...

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by czm2000, Jun 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Since the dawn of the Notebook era, the drive has been to obtain faster and faster mobile CPUs, without much concern for battery life improvements. Only in the last three years (since the unveiling of the iPad) has longer battery life been raised to a higher priority. Apple loves gimmicks (eg, their obsession with thinness), but bringing focus to battery life is one of the best things they've done!

2. meow9th

meow9th Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't know about that, I think high res and high quality displays is what I most appreciate about their contribution. =)

3. e-schreiber

The way I see it, resolution is a gimmick that, in no way, makes me more productive.

4. fadesurf225

fadesurf225 Pen Pal - Newbie

If you're saying that higher resolutions aren't giving you any productive benefits, then I'm with you on that. I'll even say that in some cases higher resolution can inhibit work. It's sort of similar the camera arms race for more pixels.

I do understand that for many other folks though, this might not be the case. I'm sure there are many who are able to increase their productivity with high resolution displays. Guess it's different pen strokes for different tablet folks. (yea that was corny)

5. e-schreiber

When resolution is increased, a heavier burden is put on the GPU....and subsequently, on the battery. I have 800p on my 12" screen and that's enough for me (what bothers me on my TM2 is the bad viewing angles).

To me, longer battery life, 4:3 aspect ratio or matte screens would heighten my productivity. More pixels wouldn't.

6. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Definitely such a thing as too high of a resolution. I find even my 1080p Duo 11 difficult to use in many situations.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

7. meow9th

meow9th Scribbler - Standard Member

Gonna have to disagree with you folks - I fall into the above camp of resolution junkies. Low res renders me effectively blind and unproductive - the more res I have, the more information I can fit onto the display - and even at the same amount of information, the information will be delivered more clearly to my eyes, thus increasing my productivity anyway.

The only reason that high res isn't uniformly awesome is DPI scaling type solutions are suboptimal in Windows. Even so, I'll take less battery life for higher resolution any day, no question.

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This upcoming 13" Toshiba tablet looks awesome. Powerful, big, and, well, just awesome!

I think it might be the new It machine. I look forward to reviews when it starts shipping!

9. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Now shipping in Australia.
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Toshiba-Portege-Z10t-Now-in-Australia-360060.shtml

Will be interesting to see how quickly they get this updated to Haswell, especially considering they already mentioned upgrading it. Hopefully that means it won't be too long. At least not as long as the manufacturers who haven't even recognized Haswell on their products page yet. Maybe a good sign? Then again, maybe not.

I'm not totally convinced though that just throwing a Haswell chipset into and existing device is the right answer. Seems to me like a lot of benefits could be skipped over in a rush out the door. Thinner foot print, quieter/no fan, etc. That is unless they've already factored that in. Again, seems to me like Toshiba may have already had Haswell in mind. If their Haswell offering incorporates an 8GB RAM option, it may have a slightly different chassis too. All speculation of course :)

Will be interesting to see how it all unfolds...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

10. Ashers

Ashers Pen Pal - Newbie

duplicate..

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.