Portege Z10t - I can't believe...

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by czm2000, Jun 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashers

Ashers Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry, what's the "altair build"?

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Without the escape codes for the e's the misspelling of the model name is so much more legible! (Portege, not Protege)

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

In the shared Youtube video on pg 2, they actually seem to be talking about a yet-to-come z10t model with Haswell. They call it the "Altair" model, which would have a 13.3" screen and be Haswell. Atleast that's what they say in the video.

4. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

"Altair" was mentioned and showed on the Intel video from Computex. It happens around the 10-min mark, I think. Around the same time they show the Asus Trio and HP Rove.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. Ashers

Ashers Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks. A 13" Z10t sounds excellent - that would be top of my list. I think I'm going to hang on to the Duo-11 for another 3-4 months - lots of really interesting stuff coming out at the moment.

6. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

And there's more to come later this month. Samsung will hold an event and perhaps HP will announce some machines as well.

7. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Haha! Yeah, it was certainly easy to pick out from the crowd. Steve B was kind enough to fix it. I felt it important to be correct so it has better SEO. The more searches it appears in the more people we can get talking about it :)

Yeah, I'm with you. Don't mind the hinge design at all. Its certainly no worse than the Helix hinge. And I actually kind of like the robustness of this hinge. Not everything has to be svelt.

Sent from my GS4

8. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oh man, good catch!

Steve B...pretty please, with a cherry on top :)

Sent from my GS4

9. meow9th

meow9th Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not a big fan of the hinge design, but I wouldn't call it ugly, and I definitely wouldn't say it's uglier or less functional than any other hybrid (except for the Surface Pro, of course :D). The hinge just reminds me of the extended battery I had on my X61t, and boy, did I hate that thing. Always in the way and completely ruinous to the Thinkpad aesthetic (it's not a box when it has an awkward piece sticking out in the back) - granted, the Z10t hinge is flush with the tablet surface.

10. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Just to express a different opinion-- I actually like the extended stick-out battery on my x200t. A wonderful handhold when carrying the tablet around. Makes it less "tippy" too. It's not like I'm in love with it, but it has a function, IMO.

I find the hinge on the z10t less-than-sexy, but entirely functional. That's good enough for me. I don't think anyone's buying a Toshiba for it's sleek build. They want a kick-b*tt functional machine, IMO. And that's what this seems to offer, or may be...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.