Portege Z10t - I can't believe...

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by czm2000, Jun 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meow9th

meow9th Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, I agree with you. I chose not to start a new thread in the Toshiba forum because I was afraid it wouldn't get any attention - the Toshiba forum doesn't seem very active compared to the Lenovo, Hardware or Microsoft ones (not surprising due to the release of new product - but now Toshiba has a new product launch too!).

2. fadesurf225

fadesurf225 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well gentlemen, it looks like it shall be up to the few to give the z10t the attention it deserves to have.

There seems to be 2 z10t models listed on the us toshiba site, but i wasn't able to check if it's available on toshiba direct yet. The mobile version of the toshiba direct site is awful for navigating their numerous models.

The specs on the battery say 39 watt hours. I'm wonderin how the 13 watt y-series ivy bridge processors will fare/fair (spelling?) with that kind of battery capacity. I'm also wonderin when the haswell refresh of the z10 will arrive. According to a few reviews of the new haswell-laiden sony vaio pro 11/13 and vaio duo 13 models, battery life seems to be a strong suit for the new intel apu's. Hopefully this will carry over well onto the z10t or whatever the future haswell model will be called.

Good day folks,
    - fadesurf225

3. meow9th

Looks like the Z10t isn't available through Toshiba Direct, but only available at a third-party seller (PCM?).

The difference between the two models seems to be whether it's i5 or i7; the price difference is $150.

Yes, it'll be very interesting to see battery life tests, but I haven't come across any that have been performed yet.

It's 'fare' in that case. (like farewell)

4. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Perhaps, without the gibberish on the title of the thread, we could boost the Z10t's popularity a bit. ;)

Here's a video showing the Z10t:
    Toshiba ZT10 Haswell Ultrabook Hands On - Computex 2013 - YouTube

5. fadesurf225

Fare it is then. It doesn't look like online retailers, including PCM, are selling the Z10t quite yet.

I laughed when the man said, "It's kinda weird to have the mouse buttons on top of the track pad. I don't know what this is all about." Meanwhile, the blue trackpoint silently screams at the cameraman.

6. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, I tried to get rid of the gibberish. It was because I started the thread on my mobile device using Tapatalk and it added the accents and they aren't recognized. I went back in on the PC and tried editing it but it didn't take. Now that I see the thread is being used I'll try again :) The gibberish is driving me nuts!

Sent from my GS4

7. Ashers

Ashers Pen Pal - Newbie

It does look great. I like the thinkpad-style trackpoint, the dedicated page-up/down keys, and the matte screen, as well as the great selection of ports. I am tempted to ditch my duo 11 and get either that or the Duo-13. The Duo-11 has a 39Wh battery and they claim a 5hr battery life, but I only average about 4hrs (very high brightness and connected to the internet), so I would hope for 5+ hours on the z10t with Haswell.

8. meow9th

Wow, these are the kinds of people running around at Computex? Why don't any of our forum members have the time and money to fly to Taipei, we'd get a lot more coherent information ... This guy can't even spell the Z10t's model number correctly ...

And yeah, that was just ... yeah.

So it looked like 'Altair' is the Haswell refresh for the Z10t, and if even PCM isn't actually selling the Z10t yet, then maybe we'll never actually see an Ivy Bridge Y-variant? I was really curious how the Y would work out in terms of battery life and performance, but I can see why Toshiba would consider it obsolete going out the door, with Haswell-inside tablet PCs debuting so hard at Computex - and Sony able to deliver a Jun 9 launch date!

9. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Did anyone else notice the Altair build is supposed to have a 13.3" removable slate screen? That's the biggest yet, if true. I'd love to see something like that!

10. fadesurf225

Aw man! Now that the title's been corrected, I kinda miss the old one with the mistranslated accented é.

I agree. It sure would be nice to write and sketch on a 13.3-inch display, especially in portrait mode. The extra space would definitely be welcome on a screen with a 16:9 ratio. Here's hoping that the increase in screen size does not affect the matte-ness of the z10t.

Edit: After reading some comments on the z10t (that youtube video and engadget), I realize that there's a trend in calling the device ugly. Much of it is directed towards the hinge design. I don't know though... maybe it's just me but I just don't see or understand what it is that's so disastrously hideous about the hinge. Or anything bout the overall design for that matter.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.