Portege Z10t - I can't believe...

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by czm2000, Jun 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Zero

Zero Scribbler - Standard Member

We are but not in this section.

Toshiba has made some pretty good tablets in the past so it could be a lot better than the Helix.

3. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

My only problem with the Z10t is that it does not seem to have a second battery in the dock.

Why Toshiba missed out on that is baffling.

5. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Because if they had put a battery there, that would have increased both the weight and thickness of the device in laptop mode, to say nothing of the final price....and many people would have complained. Overall, that machine is very good. It does have an SD slot, which the Helix doesn't. Compromises....

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Nice!

Power, pen/s and form factor.

If this machine had come out just a few months ago, it would have gotten top billing. Funny how the target moves so rapidly.

Despite its nice, high resolution, I hope somebody makes something with a bigger screen. These 11" machines are all "whatever" as far as I'm concerned, though I can see why really big tablets would be cumbersome for most users, so I can't really blame them.

7. czm2000

I'm actually digging it, and not brothered by the lack of a batttery in the dock. When I use the dock I'd most likely be plugged in. But when traveling it would be lighter, or more than likely wouldn't use the dock at all.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

8. czm2000

Which section is it being discussed. I can't seem to find it anywhere.

On another note, I haven't owned a Toshiba in over 12 years. How's the quality of late? I remember being really happy with it and it even had kick a$$ Harmon Larson speakers if I really call correctly.

9. meow9th

meow9th Scribbler - Standard Member

Hardware forum, here is my post about it after the Anandtech and Engadget reviews:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/har...ablets-convertibles-stylus-11.html#post327954

I had debated posting it here (or in multiple places actually), but the last time I had seen it mentioned (because you remember, it was released in Germany first, or something like that, so we had some prior announcements), was in the Hardware forum in the List of Win 8 stuff thread.

It was also mentioned in one of the Helix threads (as a Helix alternative, although to me the Z10t makes more sense as a Samsung 700T alternative than a Helix or Surface Pro alternative - in terms of design decisions, it's much more similar to the Samsung 700T than either the Helix or Surface Pro):
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/lenovo-ibm/53433-thinkpad-helix-looks-promising-21.html#post328170

I recently bought the Toshiba KIRAbook (not a tablet PC) for my boyfriend. It is supposed to be the start of their 'premium' KIRA line. As far as I can tell, the build quality is excellent, and the dive towards consumerism has not completely removed all the enterprise features (like status indicators...). The keyboard feels like soggy bread, but that's my only complaint. Anandtech's review mentioned that the KIRAbook's speakers are kick a$$ too (they do seem unusually good for laptop speakers).

The thing to note about the Z10t is that it comes with a 3-year warranty standard (the KIRAbook comes with 2, I think, but it has its own dedicated service pipeline - part of the 'premium' package).

Edit
    I may have unusually high standards for keyboards because I almost exclusively use Thinkpad keyboards (including at my desktop). That being said, I find nothing to complain about the touch and feel of the Surface Pro keyboard (Type Cover). The KIRAbook feels like, as I said, soggy bread. My boyfriend doesn't mind the keyboard in the least, though.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  10. czm2000

Wow, thanks for all the links.

To me a discussion is more topic specific. I saw it "meantioned" here and there a tiny bit. That's why when I saw one of those I raced to the Toshiba forum, where again, I really couldn't find any serious conversation about it. Most forums will have a thread with involved conversation about a new product. Take the Helix's "Helix looks promising..." thread for example.

So that's what I meant to be more specific. A Z10t thread with a good conversation going about it. Not random mentions of it on other thread topics.

I guess it's just not mainstream enough. At least not yet :)

Thanks again for the info :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.