Portege M400 Power Saving setting

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by cyano, Jun 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyano

cyano Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually, I have two different questions:

1. How can I achieve the best power saving on battery?

I'd tried using the Toshiba Power Saver and selected the Long Life profile. In addition, I adjusted the Screen brightness to Level 1, CPU processing speed to Level 1, Cooling Method to Battery Optimized, HDD Power OFF to 1 minute, enabled all other power saving options, switched off wireless and powered off CD-DVD. However, I left the LCD always on and disabled standby. The brand new battery had already gone through 4 times the charging and completely discharged cycle, and therefore, I believe it should be at its near maximum capacity.

Is there any other things I can do? Currently, the best that I achieved is a few minutes short of 4 hours even though the machine is completetly idled. But, I read that quite a few earlier adopter had reported about 4.5 hours of actual use. It doesn't seem the battery is malfunction, I admitted that it is more likely I don't know what treaks or tricks to apply.

2. (Another question unrelated to the above) Does Toshiba provides email or telephone support that would answer technical questions? I did phone the so-called Toshiba Global Support helpline, the lady who answered my phone was either avoid answering or repeatedly saying "everything is in the manual". Also, it doesn't seems their technical staff are active in their support forum. So, please advise any contact channel other than those two?

Any help is appreciated, and many thanks.

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

cyano, there is one thing you can do to increase battery life by up to 15% and that is to add more RAM. By having more RAM in a Tablet PC or notebook, the machine does not need to access the hard drive as often since it stores temporary information in the additional RAM thereby saving precious battery power.

Toshiba has a variety of support options, but it sounds like they have not been a big help. How about we take this chance to welcome you to the TabletPCReviewSpot.com forums. Perhaps we can help you with your tablet. Please feel free to post any and all of your questions here...

3. TabletX

TabletX Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah I have the same problem as you, I achieved about 4hrs and 20-40 mins kinda varies by doing exactly what you did plus disable to finger print reader/Wifi and I also turned off the CD Drive power, beside when I do reading in tablet mode I tend to hit the eject button anyway.

4. cyano

cyano Pen Pal - Newbie

Many thanks Barry and TabletX, I think you are right the RAM option is probably what was missing. I remember those people who reported 4+ hr tends to have more RAM, mine only basic 512.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.