Portege 3440CT BIG PROBLEM THANKS!

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by TabbedOut, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jatgill

jatgill Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there,

I have a toshiba 3440CT, i dont know what is wrong with it at all and im completly confused! When i switch it on it comes up with the toshiba display and then goes to a black screen and says "Insert system disk in drive. press any key when ready....." does anybody know what i can do to make it run on windows 98 again or Xp hopefully? Could you give me a step by step guide in how to fix my laptop please.
    Thanks much appreciated

Jat Gill

2. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sounds like you have a bad boot sector. It could be that you accidentally deleted something or caught a virus, but I bet it's probably a bad hard disk. I'm not exactly sure about when this laptop was developed, but looking at the specs (pentium 3) I'm guessing 4-6 years ago. If you have the original drive it was due to go anyway. The good news is that it is relatively cheap and should be easy to replace the drive in this laptop. Also, the laptop would be BARELY able to handle XP... but with a Pentium III and max RAM of 192 mb, I'm not sure what the worse of the two evils would be Windows 98, or a bogged down XP... Hell of a conundrum you've got there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.