Portable options of drawing/sketching/taking notes

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Salkin, Sep 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salkin

Salkin Pen Pal - Newbie

Greetings everybody!

I’m looking for a pen display drawing tablet to use as a sketchbook + for notes on the job / in lectures and was hoping somebody might have some experience.
    I’m using an intuos pro at home and really just need something to work with on the go or sketching while watching tv. For this i would like something not bigger than 11 x 8 Inches (28 x 21 cm). Pressure sensitivity also is a must.
    a big plus for me would be the ability to work with clip studio 5 and the wacom pro pen 2, as this is what i’m using on my pc.
    I have been doing some research already but honestly i’m getting a bit overwhelmed.
    What has stood out to me so far are:
    windows surface go
    and the
    samsung tab A
    though i haven’t been able to research compatibility with the pen yet.

Anybody here has some experience with these products or can recommend something else fitting my needs?

Big thanks in advance!

2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have you considered the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 or S4?

Or Samsung Galaxy Book 10?

DRTigerlilly and Salkin like this.
  3. Salkin

Salkin Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the replies, guys!
    I'm having a hard time figuring out what specs i really need and which tablet offers the best solution to my needs.

The Galaxy Book 10 for example seems rather expensive in comparison to say the surface go. I can't really find any major differences in the specs, so what makes this one better suited for digital sketching? Can't really figure out the pros and cons here.

Most advertising sites seem rather careful with the amount of information they reveal and i don't feel like i'm learning a lot about the products.

I'm probably looking for somebody with the experience to tell me: "yeah this product works fine as a sketch/notebook and enables you to create sketches on which you can continue to work, with your intuos pro / pc"

4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

If you want to sketch and use Clip Studio in a small form factor in Windows the Galaxy Book 10.6 is by far the only real contender.
    It may have some palm rejection issues compared to the 12 model but its pen tech is so much better compared to Microsoft/Ntrig that they (surface go and galaxy book) aren't even playing in the same league.
    And it's more powerful with its Core M3 and yet cheaper.
    I found mine (4gb 64gb) from a guy who just bought it and decided he didn't need it for a mere €350 (€577 new on Amazon), while getting a Surface Go with pen and keyboard would have costed me around €680.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  5. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Samsung Galaxy Book is Wacom EMR, the same basic technology used on an Intuos or Cintiq

DRTigerlilly and thatcomicsguy like this.
  6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

What's your budget?

Also, the difference between Microsoft and Samsung is the digitizer technology being used.

Microsoft's "N-Trig" pen tech piggybacks their stylus solution on the capacative touchscreen which enables finger touch. The pen uses a quadruple A battery to boost the signal and create a reliable, precise input at the pen nib. The battery in the pen needs replacing every month or so if you use it every day.

Samsung uses the older Wacom EMR technology, which places an antenna under the screen which powers the pen (like the RFID chip used on debit cards), and reads the pen position. So no battery is needed in the pen.

There are slight differences between the two technologies which are noticeable by the user. The Microsoft solution has excellent, pixel perfect accuracy right to the edges of the screen. Wacom's EMR can be a little imprecise and 'squishy' near the edges, though the latest versions have reduced those issues to almost nil. It's a very mature technology today.

Microsoft's N-Trig tech is great for casual sketching and note-taking. For precise ink work, however, there is a characteristic about the implementation which they've never quite fixed; there are little bumps in the line resulting from sensor gaps in the touch screen grid. This only happens when drawing slowly as the software calculates and adjusts effectively with speedy input, creating a smooth line. There is a tendency for somewhat erratic input when there is static electricity present. The cursor will sometimes jump and do odd things at unexpected moments. It doesn't happen often, but it happens.

Wacom's EMR doesn't suffer from those problems; it is much steadier and more reliable and the line control is of a noticeably better quality. Personally, I much prefer EMR for my daily use. I ran a capacitive pen system for six months (not N-Trig, but rather Wacom's own very similar "Active Electrostatic" system.). I found it decent for loose pencil sketching, but quite frustrating for ink work as I kept having to correct for annoying line errors which cropped up due to limitations in the technology. I eventually replaced that machine and now use a Samsung 2-in-1. A "Notebook 9 Pro" (which after a year of use, I highly recommend for folks with deep pockets.)

If you're a casual artist, (mostly pencil sketching and painting) then a modern Microsoft product ought to serve you rather well. MS makes great tablets, and honestly, the pen system is okay for general use.

If, however, you intend to get really picky with certain drawing tasks, or if you just do a lot of drawing, then you will almost certainly notice the difference in response quality and benefit from spending more on an EMR system.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    WillAdams, yodamiked and DRTigerlilly like this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

First and Foremost........the Surface Go is horrid for Art. Even light sketching is a miserable experience on it. I've had the Surface Pro 3 and the nSP.....and the Go is by far the worst. The current Surface Pro has a chip called a Pixel Sense Accelerator that helped improve pen performance. For whatever reason they omitted this chip for the Go and it clearly was a poor move. But even as is....its worse then the Pro 3 and that was barley usable for art. If Art in any capacity is going to be a need....trust me....get the Galaxy Book.....its literally a night and day difference.

WillAdams, Azzart and thatcomicsguy like this.
  8. Salkin

Salkin Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow thanks a bunch guys! You made the decision much easier for me.
    Seems the Galaxy Book 10.6 is what i want.

Much thanks to @thatcomicsguy for the more in depth explanation on the systems pen-recognition / technologies, definitely pushed me towards Samsungs approach.

Thanks towards everybody else sharing their experiences!

9. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Does any of these EMR Samsung 2in1s get the Wintab drivers yet? Cause if they don't still I wouldn't go for them either and try to get an older used tablet that has EMR and Wintab if your main goal for the tablet is art. There is a noticeable difference IMO in line quality and pressure behavior between Wintab and Microsoft tablet drivers in Clip Studio Paint.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

You can use the microsoft Surface wintab driver.
    Or al least it works in Clip Studio, though it means no tilt control.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.