Porsche Design BOOK ONE Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by kvoram, Feb 7, 2017.

1. KOTR

KOTR Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know yet if this will support dual monitors out of its Thunderbolt port?

2. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I stumbled upon the Porsche Book a week ago in a local electronics store, Media Markt (kinda like Best Buy for the american folks).

Unfortunately it was pretty much locked down. No pen, the display was in an annoying store demo loop, and the security tags kept me from moving it fully. So here are my limited observations:

Design: Most if it looks and feels really nice. The one eye-sore are those hinges. Instead of polished stainless steel those have the looks of cheaply painted with chrome, kinda destroys the premium look in my opinion. They are quite smooth though, no real danger of scratching anything with it.

Hinge: Independent of the looks, those had a good friction when moving the screen. Unfortunately it was also prone to wobble, at the same level as the Surface Book or even worse.

Keyboard: It was only ok, key travel felt a bit too shallow and a bit noisier than I like. They keyboard on the Surface Book is definitely better. Touchpad on the Surface felt better as well.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Marty, thatcomicsguy and WillAdams like this.
  3. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think you mean Mercedes

ATIVQ likes this.
  5. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

That's what I get for trying to look clever.

JoeS, Azzart and Bronsky like this.
  6. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Porsche Book One pen has been upgraded to 4096 pressure levels. They updated their website and now clearly point this out. During their announcement they stated 2048 everywhere. This is only the second manufacturer to offer this so far, besides Lenovo with the Active Pen 2 (and Wacom with the un-/confirmed(?) 4096-level Bamboo Ink).

Some minor additional observations since I saw it again in the store:
    • You cannot attach the tablet portion onto the keyboard the other way round, only screen facing the keyboard, so this does not work like the Surface Book or Lenovo Helix etc. If you want to use it as a tablet with the keyboard attached, you have to use the 360° hinge and hence the keyboard on the bottom. The proprietary connector is shaped similar to a HDMI connector so it physically fits only in one direction.
    • Just like with the Surface Book, the Porsche Book One has to have power to disconnect the tablet. You push a button on the right side and then a small unlock symbol lights up under the screen indiciating that ypou can detach it. I don't know if this works in stand-by or if it needs to be booted up.
    I can't say anything else, since it was still in a stupid, useless demo-mode by the big box retailer Media Markt, and of course the employee there showed their typical, well-known incompetence by being unable to get it out of their own demo mode... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  7. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

You'd think in a device which is all about design, they'd make better design choices, like allowing the tablet portion to connect the other way around and allowing it to disconnect without power. Since it doesn't have a dGPU, it means the base is nothing but a large battery, a keyboard, and a port extender. They easily could have connected it with a USB C connector and delivered power and ports with zero additional complications that necessitate actively disconnecting the keyboard or not being able to connect it with the display facing out.

8. KOTR

KOTR Pen Pal - Newbie

Have had my PB1 now for a couple of weeks, and I absolutely love it. I have it running a 4K monitor, albeit at 30Hz, out of the TB3 port using the provided adapter. I tried a TB3 docking station, but it wouldn't allow me to operate dual monitors. In speaking with Porsche Design Support, they said that they'll be releasing their own docking station near the end of this year. Instead of fooling around with other stations, I'll just wait for that to be released.
    BTW - The PD Premium Support service is fantastic! I call / email them about anything and I get immediate, knowledgeable support. They go out of their way to be helpful.

ATIVQ and JoeS like this.
  9. beerzilla

beerzilla Pen Pal - Newbie

@KOTOR
    Any new findings in the last few weeks?
    I like it a lot and am thinking about getting one but a colleague of mine who bought it 10 days ago complains about fan noise and heat on the left side behind the screen. Are there any driver updates? How is WIFI reception?

10. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Porsche Design BOOK ONE (i7, 512 GB, QHD+) Convertible Review
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Porsche-Design-BOOK-ONE-i7-512-GB-QHD-Convertible-Review.241022.0.html

Pros
    +
    very bright touchscreen with accurate colors and almost full sRGB coverage
    +
    keyboard, pen & USB-C to HDMI adaptor in the box
    +
    very good build quality
    +
    modern ports including Thunderbolt
    +
    long battery runtime with keyboard dock
    +
    comfortable keyboard

Cons
    -
    weak cooling and very poor performance utilization of the CPU
    -
    constant electronic sounds
    -
    high power consumption
    -
    short battery runtime of the tablet
    -
    insufficient hinges
    -
    extremely top-heavy; hardly usable on the lap
    -
    uneven keyboard illumination with poor contrast
    -
    port layout could be better
    -
    slow card reader
    -
    stability of the keyboard dock could be better
    -
    pricey

Verdict

In review: Porsche Design Book One. Test model courtesy of Porsche Design.

It is no surprise that a product with the brand name Porsche or Porsche Design, respectively, is not a bargain. At least their sports cars provide the expected levels of performance and quality, but this is not the case for the Book One from Porsche Design. We rarely review a device where the gap between good and bad aspects is so big.

Positive aspects definitely include the bright touchscreen, the great build quality of the tablet, the digitizer with magnetic fixation and the comfortable keyboard. You also get a modern IR camera for facial recognition and also long battery runtimes in combination with the keyboard dock.

However, the negative aspects outweigh the positive ones, especially the ergonomics and the operating noises. The convertible is extremely top-heavy, which makes it really hard to use the laptop on your lap. The hinges have a problem with the weight of the tablet and the edges at the bottom (where you usually hold the tablet) are not rounded. Then there is the keyboard illumination, which only works really well in complete darkness, but otherwise struggles with the low contrast and the uneven brightness distribution.

Great marketing, bad performance – the Book One from Porsche Design is a great device on paper, but a closer look reveals more or less severe issues – too many for the high price. You are better off with one of the renowned competitors.

The two main problems are the almost constant electronic noises and the low performance. The Core i7 is artificially throttled, despite the active cooling solution, but even one core cannot utilize its full performance even for short peak load. Throttling is a familiar issue for slim devices, but the test model is not even close to the advertized performance level. Then there is the pretty high power consumption and the short battery runtime when you use the tablet without the dock.

We cannot recommend the Book One. You will be better off with one of the competitors and also save some bucks if you can live without the brand name.

Note: We deducted points from the final rating because the convertible is hardly usable as a "laptop" and the battery runtime is extremely short when you only use the tablet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ATIVQ likes this.