Porsche Design BOOK ONE Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by kvoram, Feb 7, 2017.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

The specs list was a little long and all-cappy, so here's an abbreviated version:

Windows 10 Pro
    Core™ i7-7500U, Intel® HD Graphics 620
    16GB max / 512GB PCIe SSD max

13.3-inch 3200 x 1800 IPS (16:9)
    5 MP FFC with Windows Hello

1x USB-C 3.1 in dock (supports charging in under 2h)
    1x USB-C Thunderbolt in tablet
    2x USB2
    microSD slot

Tablet thickness 7.7 mm
    Weight 1.67 lbs (tablet) 3.48lbs (with KB)
    Battery: 25 Wh in tablet (~3h), 45 Wh in base

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    Marty likes this.
  2. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Given that this is their first device of this kind, it is pretty good. I didn't expect it to be any cheaper, it has a Porsche name on it after all, so it has a certain target market and price-wise it is on par to the high-priced Surface or Apple stuff.

For me there are several Pros and Contras vs. the Surface Book:

Pro:
    • Thunderbolt 3, and that's on the tablet
    • ~30% larger battery on the tablet, 25 Wh vs 18 Wh on the SB
    • more stable hinge with less wobble (at least looks like that in the Verge video)
    • Slimmer when folded, no gap

Contra
    • 16:9 screen
    • only micro-SD card slot instead of Full-Size-SD card slot like on the SB
    • No dGPU
    • No back camera
    • No reverse attachment of the tablet portion (I know that is somewhat remedied by the 360°hinge, but I hate it if a device rests on its keyboard, because then it is only usable on very clean surfaces)

Overall, if I were to buy something for that much money, it would still be the Surface Book.

bloodycape likes this.
  3. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

They took the Panasonic CF-XZ6 approach on the Porsche for the hinge and the tablet/keyboard part. Having seen and played with the Panasonic, I like the Porsche design better plus it has Thunderbolt. The Panasonic is more business friendly with things like VGA, but the XZ6 when all is said and done would be north of $5k. Things I don't like:

• microSD vs. full size SD
    • 512GB; should have been a minimum of 1TB or had an option for it - 512 is too small
    • Only 16GB

I could live with 16:9 vs. 3:2, but prefer 3:2

I think it's decently priced at ~$2500US. I have no real issue with it. Build quality also looks better than the Panasonic to be honest. It solves a lot of my issues with the Vaio, but not all. I'm out of the market since my Fujitsu U727 will be here Thursday (32GB of RAM and 2TB 960 here I come!) but I'm going to keep an eye out and if someone releases a 12 or 13" tablet with 32GB of memory, sign me up.

4. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Can we get one without the Porsche design/branding with the same pen, specs, and ports, in say a 11in 3:2 variant? The price is really good, but I just wish at this price it wasn't 16:9 and the microSD slot was on the tablet, with the full size SD on the dock.

JoeS likes this.
  5. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Please share your thoughts on the U727 when you played with it for a while. The build is pretty similar to the T937. Fujitsus of the past few years suffered often from throttling and erratic fan noise, so I would especially be interested how the U727 will be doing.

6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

My initial reaction is that it has non-negligibly smaller screen area (about 11% less, 84.1 in^2 vs 75.6), while having basically identical weight to the dGPU version of the SB. I also don't like how the exhaust is piped all into one location like a traditional laptop. I love the wrap around style of the Surface. Dunno, it looks pretty nice, but I think, for my personal needs, nothing is jumping out at me as enticingly advantageous over my SB. The Thunderbolt port maybe? Although, I doubt I'd use it much. That said I'm probably biased by the fact that there is no chance I'd buy this for financial reasons. I'm not allowed to sell my SB (technically I don't own it =P).

Definitely a nice premium addition to the Windows convertible lineup though. I'm sure there will be a market for this among those that are looking for something a little different than the Surface Book.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  7. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

It'll be put through a lot of paces over the next month. I have a speaking event at the end of next week and a lot of speaking at the end of March/eartly April. In all cases plus with my daily work, I'll be running quite a few VMs.

I almost bought a Lifebook from Japan years ago when they went head-to-head with the old Panasonic R series and the Sony T (RIP to both of those legendary computer lines). So now I get to complete the trifecta since I've owned plenty of Panasonic and Sony/Vaio.

Back to the topic at hand ... with 16:9, it wasn't designed for the business pro per se like the SB or the XZ6. I still would buy it over the XZ6 sadly.

WillAdams likes this.
  8. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

I love this notebook and really like the fact that it has USB-C, I do wish it were 3:2, but I can live with 16:9.

if I needed something right now and had the budget it'd be this. It'll be interesting to see if the next SB2 and SP5 incorporate USB-C

9. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

UK pre-orders open for Porsche Design's £2,395 Windows 10 "convertible of your dreams"
    https://www.neowin.net/news/uk-pre-...ns-2395-windows-10-convertible-of-your-dreams
    https://www.microsoftstore.com/stor...esign-BOOK-ONE-2-in-1-PC/productID.5096065200

Its key specs include:

13.3-inch LED-backlit IPS LCD with Quad HD+ (3200x1800px) resolution
    2.7GHz Intel Core i7-7500U (7th-generation / Kaby Lake) processor
    16GB RAM
    512GB SSD (plus microSD card slot)
    5MP front-facing webcam
    Infrared camera for Windows Hello biometric authentication
    802.11 a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi (dual-band)
    Bluetooth 4.1
    2 x USB 3.1 Type-C with Thunderbolt support (1 each on tablet and keyboard dock)
    2 x USB 3.0 Type-A on keyboard dock
    2 x microphones
    3.5mm audio port
    Windows 10 Pro
    Total 70WHr Li-Po battery (25WHr tablet; 45WHr keyboard dock) - "up to 14 hours" of battery life
    Combined dimensions: 311 x 227 x 15.9mm / Tablet dimensions: 311 x 209 x 7.7mm
    Combined weight: 1.58kg / Tablet weight: 758g

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

I congratulate them on making a laptop that looks and acts like a luxury item. Got a pen? You get a place to put the pen when you're not using it. Got a keyboard? you can use it like you'd use an actual laptop (no kickstand). Those hinges though, they look like they'd scratch the hell out of everything they touch. I'd really like to know the finer points of the technical specs - color gamut, thermal properties, fan noise, speaker volume. Although I suppose people who'd buy this don't care, they get it for the look and feel, and it looks great.

[​IMG]

Bronsky and JoeS like this.