Porsche Design BOOK ONE Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by kvoram, Feb 7, 2017.

1. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last week Microsoft sent out invites to an event at MWC later this month, where Porsche Design will show their premium 13" 2-in-1 detachable.

It is built by an unknown Taiwanese OEM, and was developed in close collaboration with Microsoft and Intel, whatever that means. No matter what that device is going to offer, one thing is certain: It ain't gonna be cheap...

This was teased at Computex last June. At Microsoft's Computex keynote they showed the concept, which was then a 360° design and not a detachable:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...-to-life-on-new-oem-devices-at-computex-2016/
    https://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/OEMTV/OEM1640?ocid=player (at around 26:30 minutes)

Here is the invite text for the upcoming event:

Invitation: Porsche Design and Microsoft present high-quality Convertible to the MWC in Barcelona

Dear sir ,
    Together with Microsoft, Porsche Design is presenting a particularly high-quality "2in1 device" based on Windows 10 at this year's Mobile World Congress. The premium device was developed in close cooperation with Microsoft and Intel and becomes the first of the new product category "Porsche Design Computing". Together with Porsche Design, we cordially invite you to the global launch of the device on 27 February 2017 in Barcelona.

With its functional design, the "2in1 device" embodies the design language of the premium lifestyle brand. Optimized for Windows 10, the high-end device can be used as a full-featured laptop, powerful convertible and removable tablet.
    On-site, you will be able to test the device live in exclusive hands-on sessions for the first time and to exchange with Porsche Design, Intel and Microsoft company speakers. An equally inspiring and enjoyable evening awaits you.
    Below you will find all important information about the event at a glance.

alextrela182 and Marty like this.
  2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Looking at the pictures, I don't really see any obvious points of detachment. Maybe it's actually just pure yoga style 2-in-1?

3. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Amazingly, they've designed a slightly boxier Macbook Pro. You know what would have been really revolutionary? A logo that flips over when you put the device in tent mode.

4. kvoram

The press invitation specifically mentions "a removable tablet". I guess/hope they wouldn't make a mistake when writing it. But who knows.
    The concept that was shown at Computex wasn't a detachable, but that could be for several reasons. First off, that concept was never shown to anyone, so it might not have been a working prototype, but just a non-functional mockup. As such it might also have been just one of several design ideas they were playing around with at the time.
    So I wouldn't expect the upcoming device to look exactly like the concept shown at Computex. Whether it is similar or something very different, we will know in three weeks ;)

I just hope that Porsche Design will not just deliver premium design at premium price but also some premium engineering...

5. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

I dimly remember other Porsche computers and they were more or less rebranded Dells.

6. kvoram

Porsche Design ist mostly a design studio. They did make some stuff for themselves in the past but they are also often hired by other brands to design all kind of products. I guess they are more often seen here in Europe than on your side of the pond.

At Computex in Taiwan they mentioned a local partner, so that could be just an OEM but they could also be working with Taiwan-based Acer or Asus.

In the end what matters is how good the final product is. I just hope their focus is functional design (like what we see in the Surface line) and not just design over function (what Apple seems to be doing).

WillAdams likes this.
  7. kvoram

Two new teaser images. I think the announcement is going to be today or tomorrow.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

JoeS and WillAdams like this.
  8. kvoram

So, today it became official, it is called the Porsche Design Book One.

Interestingly it has both a fancy 360° hinge and a detachable tablet portion.
    It comes with a Wacom AES pen with 2048 pressure levels.
    Sadly, it has a 16:9 13.3" screen (3200x1800).
    There is only one configuration with i7-7500U, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD

Really nice design, but also expensive, varying around 2800 EUR / 2500 USD / 3150 CAD / 2400 GBP, coming out in April

If it wasn't for the 16:9 screen this would be a nice premium Surface Book contender.

http://www.porsche-design-computing.com/

http://www.porsche-design-computing.com/files/press/en/Datasheet_Porsche_Design_BOOK_ONE.pdf

http://www.porsche-design-computing..._Release_Porsche_Design_BOOK_ONE_EN_FINAL.pdf

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

There is only one configuration, Full Specs:

BRAND PORSCHE DESIGN
    MODEL BOOK ONE
    MODEL NUMBER PD132512
    FORM FACTOR 2-in-1
    HARDWARE PLATFORM PC
    OPERATING SYSTEM Windows 10 Pro
    PROCESSOR BRAND Intel®
    PROCESSOR TYPE 7th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-7500U processor
    PROCESSOR SPEED 2.70 GHz | up to 3.50 GHz
    NUMBER OF PROCESSORS 2 Cores / 4 Threads
    MEMORY CAPACITY (RAM) 16 GB
    MEMORY TYPE LPDDR3 1866 MHz
    MAX. SIZE SUPPORTED (RAM) 16 GB
    STORAGE CAPACITY 512 GB
    HARD DRIVE TECHNOLOGY SSD
    HARD DRIVE INTERFACE PCIe
    GRAPHIC CARD Intel® HD Graphics 620
    SCREEN TYPE 10-point multi-touch QHD+ IPS display | LED backlight | 276 PPI
    SCREEN SIZE 13.3-inch (33.8 cm)
    SCREEN RESOLUTION 3200 x 1800 pixel
    CONTRAST RATIO 1000:1
    IMAGE FORMAT 16:9
    CHARACTERISTICS Borderless Design | Gorilla Glass 4 | Anti-fingerprint coating | Anti-reflection coating
    CAMERA 5 MP Front camera | in addition with an infrared camera for Windows Hello
    SPEAKERS 2 x 2 W
    MICROPHONE 2 microphones (i. a. for Cortana)
    AUDIO OUTPUT 1 (tablet unit)
    NUMBER OF USB TYPE-C™ 3.1 1 (keyboard dock)
    NUMBER OF USB TYPE-C™ 3.1 THUNDERBOLT 1 (tablet unit)
    NUMBER OF USB TYPE A 3.0 2 (keyboard dock)
    MEMORY CARD READER microSD card reader (keyboard dock)
    NETWORK Dual band WiFi | Bluetooth® 4.1
    WIFI FREQUENCIES IEEE 802.11 abgn+ac 2.4 | 5 GHz
    PRODUCT DIMENSIONS (2-IN-1) approx. 311.4 x 226.5 x 15.9 mm
    PRODUCT DIMENSIONS (TABLET UNIT) approx. 311.4 x 209.5 x 7.7 mm
    TOTAL WEIGHT 1580 g
    WEIGHT TABLET 758 g
    HOUSING MATERIAL anodized aluminium
    COLOUR Pure Silver
    TYPE OF BATTERY Lithium polymer battery
    AVERAGE BATTERY RUNTIME up to 14 h
    BATTERY CAPACITY 25 Wh (tablet unit) | 45 Wh (keyboard dock) | total 70 Wh
    WEIGHT BATTERY approx. 112 g (tablet unit) | approx. 195 g (keyboard dock)
    CHARGING BY USB Type-C™
    CHARGING TIME less than 2 h
    POWER SUPPLY USB Type-C™ power adapter | 100 – 240 V | 60 W
    KEYBOARD full-size keyboard | dimmable backlight | country-specific keyboard layouts
    DIMENSIONS KEYBOARD 265 x 102 mm
    TOUCHPAD Microsoft-certified Precision Touchpad (PTP) for Windows 10
    DIMENSIONS TOUCHPAD 105 x 70 mm
    CHARACTERISTICS VarioGear (hinge), developed by Porsche Design |
    combination of a 360° rotation function and possible separation of the tablet unit

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

So the great things here are:
    - it's a Surface Book without The Gap
    - it has a yoga hinge, so you can easily flip it over into let's say Netflix Mode
    - it has a USB-C port on the screen portion, which apparently supports thunderbolt

That last thing means that in principle you could just have the tablet portion laying on your desk with one TB charging/docking cable attached and work on one (or more?) high res monitors.

The only things missing: smart cover for screen protection on the go, and a kickstand on the tablet. Still, very nice effort!

One slightly disappointing thing (apart from pricing..) is that the tablet is 1.67 lbs, and yet still only offers 3h battery life. The SP4 does a LOT better at the same weight, of course with slightly smaller screen.

Nice overview at The Verge with video.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    WillAdams and kvoram like this.
  10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

The idea of Porche making a premium convertible makes perfect sense to me. I have never been one to care about fancy cars. To me, my hot rods have always been my computers =)