Poor Warranty Service

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by P8RSON, Dec 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. megaman1x

megaman1x Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys, I was wondering if maybe you can offer some advice.

A couple weeks ago I was using my 4210 and all of a sudden it just shut off on me and would not turn back on. I sent it in for warranty repair at a place locally (authorized Fujitsu repair shop). Turns out the motherboard was fried and they had to order a new one. (my laptop is about 2 months old)

Now that I've brought my lifebook home, I've noticed a couple things different:

1) The wireless on/off switch will not move anymore. I tried as hard as I could to shift it from the off position to the on position but it will NOT budge. The wireless and bluetooth are working though. So I'm assuming the technician installed the motherboard and did not connect the external wireless switch?

2) The wireless card is different. When I had ordered it, I had ordered the Intel wireless card with bluetooth. Now after the motherboard switch I have the atheros card (I know it's not a huge deal, but it's still not what I had initially ordered)

3) My battery life of the modular bay battery has significantly been reduced. I'm not sure. Before, my laptop had a monstrous battery life however now, it's battery life (especially of the mod bay batter) has been significanly been reduced.

I'm weary to go back to that authorized fujitsu repair center. Would it be better for me to call Fujitsu directly and maybe send it in to them? This is so disappointing considering the laptop is only 2 months old.

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is a sad but not uncommon story. I have a friend in Columbus who had terrible experiences with the authorized dealer there. Ever since Portable One stopped selling Fujitsu, I don't have faith in their repair centers. Even the corporate one has been problematic lately. I really don't know what the issue is. You should definitely not take it back to the same place. And if Fujitsu doesn't rectify the problem, file a complaint with the BBB online.

3. megaman1x

Thanks Brian

I just called Fujitsu and told them my story. They reccomended another repair center but I said I'd rather have fujitsu look at it directly. They gave me the shipping details and want me to ship it in at my own cost. I find that extremely silly, I paid for this warranty and now I have to pay more for shipping? How stupid is that...

4. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm not defending Fujitsu in the slightest..... If they or anyone cock something up then they pay... simple.
    However, in the case of you having to pay for shipping, unfortunately you will find whilst warranty work will be covered, shipping will not.
    Stupid but true.

Sometimes you get lucky and get a sympathetic member of staff to organise a courier to pick the item up for you.

Having said this, there's nothing stopping you in ringing them back and asking in view of the fact it's already been back once, Fujitsu pick up the tab for the postage.
    I most certainly would call them and expect some form of understanding.

In reference to the wifi/bt switch.... Totally unacceptable and again another reason to get Fujitsu to pay for shipping.
    After all, why should you have to pay to rectify their mistakes.

Finally, re the Atheros wifi chip.
    I wouldn't complain on that score megaman1x.
    The Atheros is a better chip than the Intel.

5. megaman1x

Thanks P8RSON, you are always helpful. I'm not particularly complaining about it, it's just the principle of the thing. It's not like its a major difference to me personally, it's just Fujitsu doesn't know if it's important for me to have an intel wireless card.

I'll see what I can do about this issue.

6. P8RSON

Please do keep us all informed megaman1x :)

7. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I know, it is lame. You figure if their local offices can't help you, they should pay for the fix. If you really wanted to fight it you could probably prevail, it's a question of the value of your time though.

8. Celemourn

Celemourn Pen Pal - Newbie

Regarding the switch: that's actually a rather easy goof to make, if I'm right about the cause. I've had a couple of devices which I've pulled apart, and which had the same type of switch as the one on my 4210. Once, I accidentally reassembled it when the SWITCH was in the ON position, but I left the SLIDING TAB WHICH THE USER USES TO FLIP THE SWITCH(... get that? The part that, for all functional purposes is the interface between the switch on the motherboard and the user's finger) was set to the OFF position. I can't really describe it without drawing a picture, but basically, that results in the tab not being able to move any more. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT try to force it, or you may DAMAGE THE MOTHERBOARD. It should be a 15 minute fix, with most of that time dedicated to opening and closing the case.

Two cents.

9. megaman1x

Thanks for the advice Celemourn,

Well I got two new items to tell you guys about:

First, I've realized that my wireless connection keeps on dropping every 5 minutes. It's so random whenever it decides it's not going to work. This seems to be another problem to add to the list.

Second, I just got off the phone with tech support and explained to them how I think it's silly that I must pay to have my laptop shipped to Fujitsu. I explained how I'm weary to send it in to local repair centers because of what happened last time and due to long wait times. They said it is policy to make the customer pay to have it shipped to Fujitsu. I did point out that before I purchased this laptop, I was told by a Fujitsu sales rep that should I need warranty repair service, Fujitsu would mail out a postage-paid box that I can place my laptop into and then overnight ship to Fujitsu. I mentioned this to the tech on the phone and she said she's never heard of that and that's not the case.

So now I'm stuck with a decision: Pay to have it shipped to Fujitsu, or take the tablet to another repair center locally.

This is all so stupid....

10. P8RSON

I know I have already mentioned the fact that under warranty work the customer usually pays shipping but we have two cases here that make shipping costs to be queried.
    1. It is not your fault you are having to send the device back ~ as such shipping MUST be met by Fujitsu. Most certainly FSC do this and i can not see why Fujitsu should be different.

2. You were told Fujitsu would mail out a postage-paid box that I can place my laptop into and then overnight ship to Fujitsu.
    It is a great shame you do not have this in writing. If so you could have used this as written proof and nothing could have prevented Fujitsu in providing a free shipping service.

megaman1x,
    I know you have phoned them but I would like you to do it again please.
    Only this time ask to speak with the Administrator.
    Don't settle for being told he/she is not available or will not take calls.
    It is your right to request to speak with a higher authority.

Explain to the Administrator the reason the tablet is going back is not of your doing. Tell him/her it is going back because of a fault that Fujitsu has generated.
    Explain nicely, if you can not receive understanding for your request you will write to the chairman Fujitsu.
    At this stage ask the Administrator for either his/her name or their Admin number for identification.
    Tell him/her that you will be putting this name/number into the content of the letter.

See what kind of response you now get........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.