Poll: Will you be switching to the Asus Vivotab Note 8 (Wacom).

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Mesosphere, Jan 9, 2014.

?

Are you going to Switch from Dell Venue 8 Pro to Asus Vivotab 8?

Poll closed Apr 9, 2014.
  1. Yes.

23 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. No, I'd prefer the Asus, but it is too soon to upgrade.

14 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. No, V8P pen is good enough for my needs.

19 vote(s)
    19.8%
  4. No, pen is not an important enough feature in my use. I prefer the Dell overall.

40 vote(s)
    41.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Now that Dell/Synaptics isn't the only game in town for those looking for pen input on an 8" windows tablet PC, I'm curious how many people plan on making the switch.

Don't get me wrong here. The Dell has been a great device and, apart from the quality control issues on the pen, the pace with which they have improved the performance on this brand new tech is admirable. But since the pen is a very important feature in my usage and the remaining significant advantages of Wacom over Synaptic, I'm very likely going to make the switch. I'm curious what the general opinions are around here.

Please only vote if you are (or have been) a V8P owner.

EDIT (1/20/13): A break down of the results so far...

- With 79 votes, the random sampling error so far is 11%, but this poll is far from scientific, and we have rather large biases in this community, so the random sampling error is likely insignificant compared to that (i.e, take the results with a huge grain of salt).

- Of Dell V8P owners in this community, ~58% consider the pen to be important in their use, while ~42% don't consider the pen important.

- Of those that consider the pen important, ~35% are satisfied with the Synaptics pen performance, while ~65% would have preferred the Asus (based on how it appears on paper of course) due to it's wacom pen.

- Of those that would prefer the Asus/Wacom, ~43% are not willing to switch having already invested time/money in the Dell compared to ~57% who plan to make the switch.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. crashdau

crashdau Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm definitely sitting on the fence. Though the active stylus may not be key to my usage, I'm used to wacom version of performance from my Samsung Note 8. The unfortunate part is that I may never get the chance to try out the Active Stylus. I submitted a request via email for a CRA, but, haven't heard anything yet.

The other part I'm not happy about is the the loss I'll have to take because I'm past the threshold for return (eiher 21 or 30 days) even though it was a Christmas Present that was ordered and has a Invoice date of 12/6/14.

...heavy sigh...

3. sayonical

sayonical Pen Pal - Newbie

While I'd love to have Wacom, getting the Asus isn't worth the hassle because nearly everything else is the same spec wise. Now if the Thinkpad 8 had Wacom I'd done return this dell venue in anticipation - it would have been the perfect reason to upgrade - 1080p screen, hdmi out and gorgeous premium build quality. Sighs....so ill stay with the dell until someone gets it right.

dceggert likes this.
  4. Mesosphere

I totally get that, but for me the Asus is good enough (the V8P was good enough apart from pen). The additional features the TPT8 has are certainly preferred, but in my usage they aren't going to change how I use it. The addition of Wacom for me is "game changing"... and the amount of money I devote to tech purchases is absurdly irrational, so I'm willing to upgrade this quickly =P

Come to think of it... to be honest even if many of the other specs were a slight downgrade (CPU, memory, etc), I'd still be making the switch.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    dceggert likes this.
  5. avianz

avianz Pen Pal - Newbie

Duh yes, Wacom pen and dual channel ram.

6. Mesosphere

I was starting to feel lonely =P

7. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Scribbler - Standard Member

I probably will. Even if it's a bit of a hassle to sell my tablet, take a loss, and pay more for the ASUS. I'm annoyed with Dell though. I still can't even buy the pen, which should have been included. And I noticed today the pen has been removed from the website.

8. navus

navus Pen Pal - Newbie

All I want is an 8" Windows 8 device with active digitiser using Micro USB charging port and a reasonable performance with MS OneNote and Office with good battery life.
    Bought the Dell Venue 8 thinking that was the perfect fit but after using the pen for a few weeks, it's just not usable even though it has improved a lot with the recent firmware upgrade.

With the built in stylus holder and Wacom digitiser from Asus Vivotab. I am sold 100% will be switching over.
    Don't care too much about other bits like hdmi out or higher res screen but do wish they have the 3G/LTE option though, after all this is really a portable go anywhere device and should be treated as such.

9. tboy2000

tboy2000 Pen Pal - Newbie

No. Dell more sexy. No horrible logos and branding on bezel.

gammite likes this.
  10. Defiant10k

Defiant10k Pen Pal - Newbie

If Dell gets it's act together and is able to produce a working pen I'll happily keep the device. They have a few months to get it right.