Poll - SP4, SPro, Galaxy Book, or Elsewhere?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, May 21, 2017.

?

Where is your Amex going to be abused next?

1. Surface Pro 4 - staying put (Amex is safe for now).

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. Surface Pro - you know, the NEW one.

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Galaxy Book 12

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Galaxy Book 10.6

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. Other Windows 10 tablet

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  6. Android something

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. iPad something

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

Your use case is identical to how I use mine (for the short time I tried out the SP4), so its probably not that unique. I had it at studio tilt, OneNote on all the time, and used it as a pen based tablet for notes full time. External keyboard, mouse and display was for everything else. I still have the spot cleared for when the new one takes the spot!

dstrauss likes this.
  2. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yep only 10 more days till we get it, now wonder what crapple has up their sleeve today.. Please note I have a lot of apple products so I am allowed to insult them lol :)

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, if they debut a 10.5" iPP with iOS 11 having a file explorer and drag-and-drop (per this weekend's rumors) it is going to get a lot warmer in the 2-in-1 space. With those two additions and the quality of Office 2016/Outlook/OneNote/OfficeLens on iOS, it will be a direct shot at Windows 10S.

4. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yep I was thinking the same thing....

5. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

I also have a lot of Apple cra-stuff, so also able to be critical. In fact, I had totally gone to just about all Apple and have now started coming back.

Based on prior keynotes, I predict we'll be disappointed with regard to the iPP being a real thread to the SP's space. To be a real desktop replacement, they really need to have some kind of pointing device and be able to support peripherals. I don't see them doing either of those. If they do add the File tool and Drag-and-Drop, I am guessing it will be gimped some way. I am not a power user, and I still would never be able to use an iPP to do my job. The flexibility of Win10 or MacOS are so far superior to iOS. Bottom line is iOS was designed to be a phone OS, and it does that well. Trying to expect it to replace a laptop is a stretch. And their insistence on no touch screen on their MacBooks is equally frustrating.

But competition is good, so I hope I'm pleasantly surprised. I will still stay with the SP, because I need to run things like Microsoft Project for work and Lightroom (full) for home. I can do both of those on a Mac or Windows, but never will happen on iOS.

6. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

The question now is whether or not you can copy and paste files other than photos in the file explorer via a flash drive or other external storage device attached via the camera adapter. If the answer is still no, the iPad Pro is obviously still a toy that has no business being sold with the Pro moniker. Case closed.

darkmagistric likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.