Poll - SP4, SPro, Galaxy Book, or Elsewhere?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, May 21, 2017.

?

Where is your Amex going to be abused next?

1. Surface Pro 4 - staying put (Amex is safe for now).

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. Surface Pro - you know, the NEW one.

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Galaxy Book 12

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Galaxy Book 10.6

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. Other Windows 10 tablet

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  6. Android something

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. iPad something

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well - is this the REAL reason MS is holding back USB-C/Thunderbolt 3:

How Thunderbolt 3 won the port wars

So, next iteration/generation of Core processors will come complete with Thunderbolt 3 hardware and a royalty free license...

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

That will probably open more doors :)

sonichedgehog360 and WillAdams like this.
  3. dstrauss

Haven't been back here in a while, and I know this is not any sort of representative sample, but am surprised that nearly 70% are leaving Microsoft - on a Microsoft-centric thread.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

70% of the 18 that voted... in a poll slanted toward a specific alternate device...

5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I'm still not convinced I'm ever going to be as happy with MPP as I am with EMR....
    I like the SP4 as laptop replacement but for inking....my heart belongs to Wacom EMR.

6. dstrauss

I said it wasn't representative - but an odd development for a Surface device crowd...

I completely understand, but for me, the beautiful AMOLED screen is actually the GB 12 Achilles heel for me - auto screen off after two minutes, to help prevent screen burn in, won't cut it with my work flow. I leave my SP4 in draw mode (fully reclined) and keep OneNote open on it while letting the dock run my two monitors - note taking at the ready all day long (and a third screen in a pinch).

I'm also a file pig, and don't trust mSXDX for permanent storage, so 256GB is going to be tight.

One last thought as well - the nearly infinite adjustment of the kickstand can be a godsend in a place like Starbucks where overhead light glare can be a dog to avoid - the SP4 shrugs it off like any good laptop.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Telstar1948 likes this.
  7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

@dstrauss I agree with you on all of your points, to be honest...

Bronsky likes this.
  8. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yea I was originally thinking about the GB12 as well because I love OLED screens. But there are way too many compromises on everything else. Such as keyboard, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

I played around with a GB12 in the store and didn't like much about it. The display is nice... but so is the SP4. I see that as neutral, and the burn in risk of OLED pushes it back to SP4. The keyboard on the GB12 is terrible (my opinion). It feels flimsy and isn't as nice to type on as the SP. And the lack of a kickstand and reliance on folding the keyboard is just wonky. Not sure what they were thinking. Beyond all of that, the unit itself has a cheaper feel to it to me, and looks like they just tried to copy the iPad. I expect most bystanders might guess you had an iPad from a distance, if the keyboard was off. I like the SP's design and uniqueness. And when you consider its about the same price as the SP4, not really a great alternative.

The one that I seriously considered was the Acer Switch Alpha 12. Its a lot less expensive than the SP4, so at least in that case you are getting a lesser machine, but saving some money. In reviews, it stacked up pretty well ... but does also have the battery life issues of the SP4. And they are all fanless, including the i7. Will be interesting to see what their next generation brings.

10. dstrauss

This! I have had a lot of folks tell me burn in is not an issues, almost always citing success with an AMOLED smartphone - that makes sense because those RARELY ever have a static screen on. However, the fact that Samsung has set a 2 minute timer that cannot be turned off tells me it IS an issue on a computer screen. I know my use case is unique, but my SP4 sits next to my keyboard all day with OneNote open ready for note taking sessions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.