Poll - SP4, SPro, Galaxy Book, or Elsewhere?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, May 21, 2017.

?

Where is your Amex going to be abused next?

1. Surface Pro 4 - staying put (Amex is safe for now).

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. Surface Pro - you know, the NEW one.

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Galaxy Book 12

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Galaxy Book 10.6

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. Other Windows 10 tablet

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  6. Android something

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. iPad something

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

I don't understand why folks here (except me) aren't talking about the Wacom dual-protocol pen. To me, the prospects for meaningful inking feel improvement are more likely to come with this new Wacom pen than from any Surface Pro updates that might be revealed tomorrow.

...It's a WACOM pen, folks. Wouldn't you expect that they might work some improvements in it...?!??

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/wacoms-dual-protocol-bamboo-stylus-coming-soon.71503/

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  2. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm sticking with my Z Canvas, at least until the warranty ends in February 2018; I paid a lot of money for this 1TB/16GB model. I can't say it enough, but I tried the multiple device solution with desktop+tablet, but now that I can plug in my machine with one cable to drive 2 monitors, speakers, printer, ethernet (even though it's through USB3) at home and then unplug and go straight to class carrying the same machine is awesome. I was constantly dealing with OneNote syncing issues, and it's nice to be free of that.

The battery life is not the best, but if I plug in at lunch from 12p-1p, I can make it in classes from 8a-12p and 1p-4p without having to worry about battery life. I carry around a charger but I only had to use it once.

When I'm trying to import 200+ page lecture notes into OneNote at the start of lectures, convert all the images to background using OneTastic, alt-tabbing between radiographic imaging software, pulling up research documents, the 4770-HQ is a lifesaver. A lower-powered machine will just hang up doing that.

Once I start clinical rotations, I think a companion device might be in the mix again. I still have a Surface 3 lying around that I pull out once and awhile. It's way out of warranty, and there's some yellowing on the screen and green dead-like pixels you can see when it boots, but it still works.

I'm not up to date on the CPU comparisons between the 4770-HQ and the newer, lower TDP chips. I bet performance might be pretty close now.

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Have there been any actual improvements in the AES Gen 13 pens? Until this has been proven...I remain **blah**

WillAdams and dstrauss like this.
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

While my understanding is that while the Dual-Protocol-ink pen will work with both AES and N-trig devices.....its performance will really be dictated by the system your using it on. Much like how the Pro 4 Pen works on the Pro 3, but the digitizer improvements are still only on the Pro 4 end. At most, IAF and Nib/Tip feel changes might still make a world of difference for some, but I don't expect the Dual Protocol Pen to significantly improve the drawing experience on my Surface Pro 3. And even if it is rigged to hit Gen13 AES levels....if you use it on a Pro 4....it will still only hit the Pro 4 levels.

Azzart and DRTigerlilly like this.
  5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Me too just as darkmagistric: I think the only thing it can improve on the Surface Book pen experience is IAF which to me is already fine with the pro 4 pen.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You really hit the nail on the head. I whine, complain, and bellyache about lack of advancements; slow development; what I want and what I can't get, but you are SOOOOO right - it is so nice to have everything with you at all times - no syncing issues, plenty of capacity, ports and options. That's why I still love my SP4.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  7. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

@dstrauss mentioned a Surface Connector to USB-C adapter being a very valuable function in a future docking unit. @Steve S mentioned the dual-protocol pen, which could improve initial activation force, add tilt detection, and possibly further smoothen the pressure curve. Someone online on Thurrott.com mentioned in speculation that the type cover tease from Panos Panay, where he mentioned time, could be a subtle hint of improved battery life from a new Power Cover. With all these possibilities, all I know is I am thoroughly excited to see this bundle of surprises unfold tomorrow!

8. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

At least for my use case at the moment, I don't need the thinnest and lightest machine. I take it to school in my backpack and then it's out on a desk for most of the day. Any heavier than the Z Canvas and I'd probably say no.

My next upgrade would likely be something TB3 capable. I don't game, but I transitioned to watching my movies on a VR headset. I like the experience and the immersion. I'm currently using the Pimax headset which is a 4K screen (even though it only upscales 1080p). Nonetheless, the screen door effect is the smallest out of every VR headset available. Once the VR headsets get to the point where we're pushing 4K per eye and completely eliminate the screen door effect altogether, I'll need better graphical hardware. I'm hoping at that point to have an eGPU to plug into at home to watch my movies.

Surprisingly, the Z Canvas with its Iris Pro graphics can push movies to my VR headset no problem.

9. jl199954

jl199954 Scribbler - Standard Member

I think I've got it narrowed down to the Prius C, Ford F250 or Ferrari 812....although the Merc E63 S Wagon should debut in a few months....

...damn, no Wacom...

dstrauss likes this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

What - no Toyota or Chevy love?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.