Poll - SP4, SPro, Galaxy Book, or Elsewhere?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, May 21, 2017.

?

Where is your Amex going to be abused next?

1. Surface Pro 4 - staying put (Amex is safe for now).

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. Surface Pro - you know, the NEW one.

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Galaxy Book 12

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Galaxy Book 10.6

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. Other Windows 10 tablet

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  6. Android something

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. iPad something

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

With Surface China just two days away, and Galaxy Books supposedly hitting our corner of the known universe, time to fess up on which way you are jumping, and why. I'll leave the poll open to changing your votes (mostly because Panos may pull something out of his.........hat at the last moment).

Spoiler Alert - absent some spectacular disclosure Tuesday - I'm sticking with SP4 until September when the second Thrilla' in Manilla, between Galaxy Note 8 and iPhone Edition, begins. I'll see if Wacom uber alles trumps my iPhone ecosystem gravitational field. Plus, it will give me more time to see if Samsung is serious about the these twins, or it is just a passing fad.

[​IMG]

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I think I'm staying with my Surface 3 until we see what WOA has to bring. Hopefully, we can get a 10" Surface with lte and 12 hr battery life.

Think we'll see any pen improvements in the Surfsce pen anutime soon?

soh5 and Chris_Kez like this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I doubt it....given the leaked pics for the Pro/Pro 4.5.....and the lack of any significant update with pen digitizer on the Studio and Laptop....I think the Pro 4 era Pixelsense grade N-trig tech is sticking around a bit longer. Especially if they rebrand the Pro 4.5 just as Pro.....effectively the Surface Line becomes Pro, Book, Studio, & Laptop..(with no number designations on any of them)..I'd imagine they would want the Pen tech to more or less be equal across the Surface line....so it wouldn't make sense for them to up the N-trig pen for the New Pro just yet....unless the Studio/Laptop/ & Performance Book have hidden, still locked away pen updates as I've suspected for a while. (well the Studio anyway)

My next purchase will almost certainly be the Galaxy Book 10.6.

I'm not looking for a performance beast because I still need to justify my purchase of the Mobile Studio Pro last November, that's still my work horse. I'm looking for a replacement for my Pro 3....which still runs fine, but I never really liked the N-trig pen tech....Like I can use it in a pinch....but after 10 minutes I'm just wishing it was an EMR system. I was hoping a Pro 5 with enhanced N-trig Pen tech would have hit by now....but since that's clearly not going to happen anytime soon....the Galaxy Book 10.6 just hits alot of spots for me. Like my Pro 3 was always my general all purpose tablet/laptop....for trips....for more impromptu art, typing, web browsing, etc......the Jack of all Trades. While I wish the Galaxy Book's had kickstands.....it should still essentially replace my Pro 3 for most all uses. Especially when I go on my international 2-3 week trips where luggage space increasingly becomes tight (as I buy stuff during the trip)....the smaller size of the 10.6 Book and its phone size USB-C fast charger looks like a dream travel tablet to me. It will more or less accomplish everything my Pro 3 did....but with taking up less space and having a superior pen system. Like for my last two trips, I brought my Pro 3 and Ipad Pro (mostly for drawing).....the Book 10.6 looks like a fantastic single solution for me....good drawing experience coupled with a full OS in a tiny frame.

If not for the Book 10.6.....the next most attractive for me is the Lenovo Mixx 720.....which is now for sale in the US.....but questionable performance/fan issues do give me pause.....and the US release of the Mixx 720 is still using the Active Pen 1 tech....not the Gen 13/Active Pen 2. Still its ports alone make it way more attractive to me then the Surface Laptop or the new Pro/4.5. Always on USB 3.1 Type A, Thunderbolt 3 USB-C, and a bonus USB 2....(which is perfect still for using with the Express Key Remote )....with Kaby Lake i5/i7 options, Micro SD card slot, 41w battery, and kickstand....all in the same 8.9mm size thickness....and keyboard included.

Bronsky and DRTigerlilly like this.
  4. dstrauss

I'm afraid I may get tempted by the upcoming 10.5" iPad Pro (in the 9.7" shell) as a moleskin replacement - seems kind of redundant to a SP4, but at under a pound and about 60% of the volume, it may be a good option to go back to a BIG (15"+) laptop.

5. Bronsky

I don't think that the Ipad pro and the sp4 are redundant. The 9.7" size is near ideal for a 10" tablet. But the SPen of the GB10 would give me pause.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  6. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am fine with my SP4, the SP new one prob won't offer enough for me to sell my SP4 to buy the new SP..

7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

If I didn't have my current setup (SP4 as primary notebook/laptop device Toshiba WT310 for inking), I'd probably consider the SGB. It's really a shame, that they don't have a model w/o the keyboard as an option.

8. dstrauss

Personally, I do feel the S-Pen will still be superior to Apple Pencil, its just that it seems to be tiny compared to the GB 10.6. I tend to think of the GB10 as more of an all-in-one replacement that may not work with my two monitors, while the iPad Pro is a pure tablet play - who knows, maybe just need to see them in real life.

9. Bronsky

I'm curious about the size and weight of the GB10 as well. By the time Samsung starts shipping it, Computex will have come and gone, so I should have some idea of the potential for a 10" competitor.

10. dstrauss

Between the "meh" on Surface Pro 4s (just can't bring myself to use Surface Pro) and the delay until June/July on GB10.6, the old SPro 4 is looking better all the time. In fact, I really need to have a serious conversation with my mirror about why I should want, much less need, a different device. There is so little performance improvement for Kaby Lake (guess some graphics and some more battery) and not design improvement, the SPro is of very little value; GB12 is nearly identical in size and weight, but I go from 16gb/1TB to 8gb/256gb just for Wacom...:confused:o_O:eek::confused::(o_O:rolleyes:

Maybe what I NEED is just a tech fix, like an ultra-compact tablet with a built in Wacom digitizer, LTE, AMOLED...

LIKE A GALAXY NOTE 8 (with Samsung Flow) as my SPro 4's companion!:D:D:D:cool:

Last edited: May 22, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.