Poll: Handwriting recognition or on-screen keyboard

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Fishface, May 12, 2010.

?

Which Tablet Input Panel mode do you use predominantly?

1. Handwriting recognition

33 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. On-screen keyboard

33 vote(s)
    50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fishface

Fishface Scribbler - Standard Member

In slate mode, with the Tablet Input Panel, do you prefer to use the onscreen key board or the handwriting recognition?

I use the on-screen keyboard almost exclusively now. HR makes too many errors and is too slow and cumbersome even with 100% recognition. I think with touchscreens becoming more common HR will become much less important.

2. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have not use a keyboard, even on screen, since I get my tm2 , 3 months ago.

3. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I switch between the two whenever I feel like it, but I tend to stick with the OSK for entering URLs and other such things and possibly switch to handwriting recognition when composing posts like this (assuming I don't just touch-type it all on a physical keyboard).

I don't think handwriting recognition for instant conversion to plain text is the right way to do it, though it's a necessity given that most apps are built to work with plain text. Instead, it should be done more like how OneNote handles it-write something in, recognize it in the background, but leave it as you wrote it unless you specifically tell it to convert to plain text.

4. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

Both. Depends. Short entries with explicit punctuation (URL's and spreadsheet cells) end up being quicker tapping it in rather than going through the recognition/correction process. Long hand text strings with common words are quicker writing it.

5. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Both :)

For URLs, quick text corrections, strange text entries I, short text input I use the OSK.
    For writing text headlines in my notes, mails, other 'normal' stuff or whenever I want to impress the person sitting next to me :p I use the HR.

However, more often I use the OSK, it's as fast and more reliable, but a bit more cumbersome and not as stylish ^^

6. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This. However the recognizer and correction process is so good in Windows 7 that it will even get a lot of this stuff correct with just automatic correction so can still be easier to write.

For longer amounts of text I always write, it's just faster for me

7. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You should have made a third choice for both. I usually use the HWR unless it's stupid (like passwords with jumbled letters and numbers).

8. Seketh

Seketh Moderator Moderator

I tend to use the keyboard panel, my handwriting recognition is horrible, and typing on the TM2 screen is actually pretty easy and fast.

I really don't have a reason to use the handwriting panel, it's a lot slower.

I did a speed test with my girlfriend once, she used the physical keyboard on her TX2500 and I used the keyboard panel on my TM2. I ended up writing faster.

9. mike.burd

mike.burd Pen Pal - Newbie

I use the HR a lot more. I find the OSK gets in the way when I'm putting in my writing and that bothers me. I only use the OSK for passwords and user names.

10. mackinthebox

mackinthebox Pen Pal - Newbie

i use the on screen keyboard more than the hand writing recognition, i have an LE1600 my Motion and the Windows 7 keyboard is fantastic, the XP keyboard is horrid
    handwriting recognition gets annoying as i tend to wrest my hand on the screen, maybe if i practice with it more i would use it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.