Pocket projector to go

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by minikui, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minikui

minikui Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been trying to learn as much as I can about pocket/pico projectors for some days now. I have understood that good portion of you here are not only tech loving but some also using you Slate for work and possibly presentation work. Therefore I reasoned that this might be a good time to ask your experiences and opinions...

To be frank, I don't need one, since practically all places have equipement, but I would still like to have one. Truth be told, I think I would use it more for entertainment on hotel evenings without scheduled activites. :D

At any rate, this is what I have reasoned:

• projector's native resolution should match one of the resolutions offered by Slate graphics driver, if possible, to avoid scaling. Otherwise, the more resolution the better, I'm inclined to think.
    • HDMI input is highly desireable, unless there is passable way to drive images through USB (ref. USB video adapters). Network projector solution seems not be present in pico sized units, and even if it was, WLAN speeds would make video playback (entertainment usage) unacceptable.
    • brightness of 50 lum or more would be preferrable (up to 110 lum seem to be available in this class)
    • feature called auto keystone could make one happy

Have I got it wrong? And far more importantly, if you're using one, please share your experiences. Is there something else I should take into consideration if I would get one for Slate especially?

2. sharpear

sharpear Pen Pal - Newbie

Does the Slate 2 have an HDMI on the device, or does it require the Stand like I am using with my Slate 500? I will be watching this as i am curious on people's experience with portable projectors as well, but never a necessity, unless you carry around something like the Apple TV or the Apple mini, where you don't have a display.

I have looked at the Portable Projetors, but I don't think they are worth it. It might have been the few that I looked at, but this was when a certain phone promoted pico projection. Might be better to just watch it from the slate than projecting an image of about the same size to the wall unless they have gotten better.

With 100 Lumens, it seems like you need a completely black room to see detail quality of HD. I use a 1000 Lumens, and I still can't allow bright light into the room. As for the Auto Keystone, the few full size projectors I have owned never really got this feature used. I was better off adjusting these manually, and while your watching it should not be moved around to have to re-adjust.

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

4. minikui

minikui Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, indeed - there doesn't seem to be an accessory that would allow using the docking/charging connector to connect to a HDMI device on the road. Like others have suggested, one should carry the dock with Slate device for external display device connectivity. Something HP could do better in the future, I think...

5. minikui

minikui Pen Pal - Newbie

PK301 was actually one of the 6 "final candidates" in the list I made for myself, as the most promising devices for my preferences. Basicly PK320 seems to be the same with 100 lumens instead of 50 and 1W speaker(s?) instead of 0.5W. (sure there are other differences, but they didn't strike me as important) On both units, the only question mark for me was the resolution of 854x480, far below the others in the same list.

How would you describe the picture? Am I misguided to think scaling has any real impact on these low lumen devices?

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

It uses interpolation to give the 1280x800 resolution, and it will also do 1024x768 (I used this when using the projector with the HP Slate). The picture was good. I carried the power adapter so that it was brighter.