Plz Help...tablet advice needed; Uni. Student

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by poetdante, Dec 11, 2005.

1. gogeta2006

gogeta2006 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

First and formost, i would like to thank this site for all its reviews and great deal of information, and many thanks to the people who take their time out to help others.

I am going into my first year of University and i want to do extremely well...
    I bought a Toshiba M40 =100 GB HD, 1 GB RAM, Geforce 6600 video card and awsome capabilities but i found the tablet to be more valuable in terms of coping with university workload.
    So i am returning the Toshiba and i'm looking for a tablet that has perfect recognition (no small error with the pen which tends to make alot of people angry), changes handwriting into text, awsome battery life, lightweight and has a decent look to it as well...

This is my first day searching for a tablet and what do you guys think is the best choice...

among these:

1) Fujitsu Stylistic ST5020DB Tablet PC

2) IBM (Lenovo) ThinkPad X41 Tablet

3) [Compaq & HP] Compaq TC1100 Tablet PC

4) Toshiba Portege M200

please guys, i really need your honest and sincere advice...

MANY MANY THanks in advance :)

2. davidJlin

davidJlin Pen Pal - Newbie

Personally, my favorite tablet of the ones you've listed is the ThinkPad X41. It's definitely the lightest, and in terms of the reputation of ThinkPads, second to none. You have to pay a premium, and you have to get an extra drive, but if you have the funds to spare, you probably will be very happy with it. However, I've read that IBM/Lenovo's handwriting recognition technology is a project in progress, and it's not as good as others ... yet. The other drawback is the long wait for IBM/Lenovo to catch up with backorders.

Good luck in school!

David

3. gogeta2006

Thank you very kindly for your advice David :)

I have gone today to compusmart and returned the Toshiba and now awaiting for my choice of a specific tablet.

what do you think about the Fujitsu Stylistic ST5020DB Tablet????

Its stylish and nice but does it live up to its expectations???
    Certainly looks like it from what the review shows on this site.

its pricey but im willing to pay if its worth it.

What are your thoughts??? :confused:

4. davidJlin

davidJlin Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, that Fujitsu sure looks like a beautiful machine! I don't have much knowledge or experience with it, but it certainly looks impressive. I suppose the only drawback is that it has a somewhat slower processor, but probably more than enough if all you need it for is light computing. And, of course, it's price is way out of most people's means. If you have the funds, though, I'm sure you'll enjoy every penny's worth.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable (like Barry) about the Fujitsu can give you better specific advice about it.

Best,

David

5. gogeta2006

Thanky you David, Your advice is most helpful and thank you for your time.

6. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We did a review of the 5010, so you might check that out. There are only a very few changes in the new model.

7. gogeta2006

Thank you Brian, i think i will get the fujutsu Stylistic ST5020DB Tablet and i pray to God that it wont be dissapointing asset. :rolleyes:

can you also tell me that does it record audio and convert it to text like in microsoft word and if not where can i get software that does that, if at all and how accurate is it?

THANKS in advance :)

8. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can't imagine that you can go wrong with the ST5000. Provided you are okay with a slate model, it is a beautiful machine. It has outstanding battery life and is no heavier or bulkier to carry than a binder full of paper. Finally, the quality is above top notch.

9. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can't believe you went with Fujitsu. The Toshiba R15 is a great tablet. Then agian I haven't looked too much into it. I'm just really well set with my R15.

10. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Dante,

The Toshiba models offer some great power and a nice "desktop replacement" version of the Tablet PC. Fujitsu has its own space in the market offering what I would call "Lexus" quality with lightweight and long battery life as top priorities. Both companies offer superb products, but each has its niche in the market. The Fujitsu ST5000 series Tablet is a top-of-the-line slate. I'd be all over it if I was in the market right now (and had the budget)! ;)