Plumbago --- new Microsoft note-taking app

Discussion in 'Software' started by WillAdams, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Is it wrong that I prefer InkSeine?..>>

...No; I was very impressed with InkSeine, and sad when it got broken and the Research Labs weren't interested in fixing it ("...too difficult..." because of an underlying change in some part of the OS, is what I remember). Still, Plumbago has some things going for it, and I'm going to be interested to put it through its paces...

<<...Also seeing lag and missed strokes on an SP4...>>

...So far, I've been test driving on the ZC. The inking has been smooth and effortless. I did have one minor stutter in inking, but it may have been my fault; I'm not sure I had pressure on the nib. I'll continue to look for this, especially when I try it on the SP4. (Since we know that processor power has an effect on ink "fluidity," I'll be interested to see if there are fewer problems on the ZC or on the SP4...)

2. Steve S

UPDATED: 23Mar16 - Graphic & forum URL added

For the last couple of weeks, I have been trying to get more information about Plumbago and the way it works. By good fortune, I was able to find a point of contact who can speak authoritatively about this new app, how it works and some possible future directions (text in blue, below). If you have questions, please post them here and I'll see if I can get answers. If you have suggestions for the development team, note the last comment about the User Voice forum. I'll find the URL and add it to this post tomorrow.

· When does Plumbago smooth your handwriting? As you write? After you’ve finished? When you close or reopen the app?
    · How much handwriting do you need to do before you start seeing significant smoothing results?
    · How dramatic is the smoothing effect between a smoothing setting of 1 and a setting of 10?

• Plumbago takes a little while to warm up, it probably requires about 20 segments of a given stroke before it starts to be able to recognize what previously written strokes can be smoothed out. It has a concept of wet strokes that are in the locality of where the pen is writing, so it modifies as writing occurs in that locality area and dries them. Given one is generally looking at the tip of the pen where one is writing the eye often misses the modifications in the previously written locality, however one can see it fairly well expressed by repeatedly drawing the below as an illustration.
    • [​IMG]
    • For the first release we may have set the smoothing to be too low, setting it to 6 is a good value.
    • Again for the first release we don’t persist the stroke learning between opening notebooks, we will in the next update so no re-warming up will be required, more details below.
    • We didn’t plan to replicate Inkseine and took an entirely different approach by focusing on the simplicity of what it would viscerally take for the Surface line to replicate a spiral notebook in terms of user experience plus an injection new research innovation the analog parallel can’t achieve.
    • There was a great blog article into the background at http://blogs.microsoft.com/firehose/2016/02/19/time-to-retire-pen-and-paper-new-microsoft-garage-app-plumbago-reimagines-digital-notetaking/ which may have gotten buried in the release messaging.

· Other than smoothing, can we expect to see other Plumbago improvements? Or is this a one-off application which won’t change?

• We are currently working on an update which will probably contain the below items:

o Integrated OneDrive notebook syncing
    o Addressing some observed pen lag issues some may have encountered
    o Portrait and Landscape support
    o Hopefully save to PDF
    o Various other fixes
    • There will probably be further updates as feedback comes in, the Plumbago User Voice forum is the vehicle for getting this back to us.
    The Plumbago User Voice Forum can be found here: https://microsoftgarage.uservoice.com/forums/343560-plumbago

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    WillAdams and bloodycape like this.
  3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Well improvements in Plumbago strokes show up in other ink enabled applications?

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

WillAdams likes this.
  4. Steve S

<<...Well improvements in Plumbago strokes show up in other ink enabled applications?..>>

...See Post #16 for the response to this question...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    Kumabjorn likes this.
  5. Steve S

Post #12, which discusses how Plumbago is intended to work, has been updated,

6. Steve S

<<...Well improvements in Plumbago strokes show up in other ink enabled applications?..>>

The question was interpreted to mean: "will the stroke smoothing algorithms developed in Plumbago /be used in / be used to improve/ future ink-enabled apps?"

The response is: "I’m unable to comment on how the beautification might be integrated elsewhere, but the more 3rd party input we get the more momentum we have to cause impact..."

So if you haven't visited the User Voice forum yet, go there and leave a positive comment or an improvement suggestion!

https://microsoftgarage.uservoice.com/forums/343560-plumbago

WillAdams and Kumabjorn like this.
  7. Steve S

Speaking about the User Voice forum, it's worth a few minutes of your time to go there and just skim the posts to see what other users are thinking and suggesting. While there, you can up-vote comments and suggestions that you like or agree with. I have posted two suggestions on the forum. I won't say what they are, to keep the voting honest, but the forum has some good ideas that deserve your support!

https://microsoftgarage.uservoice.com/forums/343560-plumbago

8. Steve S

On the recommendation of a friend, I looked up an iPad application called Paper. Check out this website; in particular, scroll down the page and watch the video:

http://www.fiftythree.com/paper

Pretty impressive. I've downloaded Paper onto my iPad2 and will be test-driving it for a few hours...

9. eltos_lightfoot

eltos_lightfoot Pen Pal - Newbie

Check out notability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Seems to me that if MS would just put the rotary wheel with more pen/pencil/marker/highlighter and weights into OneNote all of these sandbox projects then go back into obscurity and irrelevancy.