Please Help. Too many conflicting requirements

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by butanamine, Jun 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. butanamine

butanamine Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been reading these forums for too many hours and I keep going back and forth between options so could really do with some help.

My uses and requirements are thus: CAD (good 3D graphics), CPU Intensive Work (Core Duo), drawing/illustration (SXGA+), plus of course note taking etc... I will play absolutely no games on this machine.

Which leads me to no perfect Tablet.

So my questions I spose are: Will the integrated graphics on the M400 work well with CAD?
    Is it worth sacrificing SXGA+ to get the Fujitsu T4210?
    Is WXGA+ on the M7 equivalent to SXGA+ resolution?

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Most certainly but also opt for a higher spec RAM machine as well.

There is a lot of debate on the screen real estate, in that the higher SXGA+ on a 12" makes for too small a working environment, whilst others will say they are quite happy with the higher resolution.
    Further, in respect of the FS T4210, although it's standard configuration is lower, you should be able to opt for the higher resolution screen as an option.

3. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well I would think that the Toshi M400 Core Duo would be a great compromise. Would you consider an external LCD monitor for home? Having this set up sounds like it would suit you nicely.

4. butanamine

Thankyou both P8RSON and Barry for your replies. I've been digesting the extra information over of the past few days.

Indeed the M400 does sound like a great compromise if CAD will actually work. I have decided I definitely can't compromise on resolution, so will have to comprimise elsewhere. And yes I will be able to set up at home, albeit with a CRT not an LCD screen (I have never found a 1600x1200 resolution LCD screen in 19" or less, so had to get the CRT).

Having said that, if the Fujitsu is coming out with SXGA+ on the T4210, I might wait around. There've been a few gripes about the M400 and Fujitsu is apparently awesome quality with great support.

And about the M7, it looks like WXGA+ (1440x900) is not really comparable to SXGA+ (1400x1050).

Thanks again for the replies. I do hope you're right about SXGA+ on Fujitsu.

5. P8RSON

I'm currently (as of this morning) awaiting a reply from shop fujitsu-siemens.co.uk to confirm on the screen sizes available.

The second I hear otherwise I will let you know.

6. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Isn't the M7 comming out and it has deicated graphics and a duo processor?

7. butanamine

Thanks P8RSON!

I think you are exactly right, thanks for the post. But WXGA+ is only 1440x900 compared with 1400x1050 of SXGA+. And, I decided after posting, I don't think I can give that up.

8. P8RSON

I'm still awaiting an answer on this and with the weekend now heavily decending upon us (and a dry stone wall to rebuild this weekend) I don't believe I will get an answer until next week sorry.

9. butanamine

Hey, don't worry yourself! I hope your wall stays up nice and sturdy.

10. butanamine

Does anyone know of any more Tablets coming out that might possibly have SXGA+ screens? The Acer? IBM?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.