please help me pick a tablet.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daring, Feb 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spybld

spybld Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all, I'm pretty sold on the idea of a tablet, it would suit my student life very well.

Anyway, I need something to fit these constraints... any help is appreciated.

-pentium M 1.73 or more
    -very close to 5 pounds
    -convertible
    -14" screen with something better than 1024x768.... (i'm looking at YOU toshiba satellite r10/15, if anyone has this is the rez too small?)
    - some sort of dedicated video, enough to run half-life2 on dx8.1 settings at least
    - and my absolute limit for budget is $1250 with everything to texas, u.s.

Anything out there fit the bill?

Thanks again
    -spybld

2. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

not that I can think of. You can get the toshiba m4 which is 6.5lb and is about $1700 or you can get the toshiba r15 wich is about 6lb and costs from 850 to 1600 (1600 is a standard that had your 1.7 processor) and judging from what you need choose an r10 and customize.

I have a toshiba r15 and the resolution i sgreat.

If you don't need an optical drive and will sacrifice the screen size get an IBM.

3. poetdante

you can get the r10. It starts at around 850 but I went ahead and did some customization for you and it turns out that with your processor it will be about 1000. But the r10 and r15 weigh about 6lb not 5lb (though they feel 5) and the r10's HDD is only 40gb at 4200rpm and non-upgradable to 5400. At the end, with the tablet, about $150 on memory from Crucial or Newegg, and taxes and shipping, you will be within your budget.

I have an r15. The new r15s come with a 1.7 processor, 60gb 5400rpm HDD, and 512mb of memory (so you would only spend $100 on aditional memory instead of 150-200, you will need at least 1gb whichever tablet you get). A good way to save some money is by buying an r15 from Bestbuy or Compusa. they are around 1600 but they are worth every dollar.

I do not think you will be able to run Half-life on an r15. Halo is barely running on mine and the multiplayer is horrible in terms of graphics. I will tell you that unless you get an M4, which will be around 1800, you won't be able to play anything meant for high-end graphics.

4. Daring

Daring Moderator

Agreed. If you require > 1024x768, high power graphics, & < $1250 your only option will be something like a used M4. There are very few tablets in the < $1250 range to begin with and when you make high power demands it eliminates them. The R10/R15 do fit your budget, but do not have dedicated GPUs and are limited to 1024x768. As Poetdante points out the M4 is about 6.5 lbs and the R10/R15 are about 6.1.

5. spybld

spybld Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok I've given up on the graphics card part, I'll make do with integrated (intel gma 900 is better). So what's available in the 14", 5 lb, $1250 range? I lik the hp tc4200, but it is a 12"er.

I'd love an MSI ms1022 laptop in tablet cofiguration. Why oh why don't they make it happen??

Sigh...

-spy

6. poetdante

well if great graphics are not important get the r15 or r10. they suite everything else you wanted except they are not as light as you wanted. But if you don't want an optical drive and will suffer a 12in screen (I wouldn't) get the IBM.

7. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, 14" and 5 pounds don't go together, you need to give up on one of them.

8. Daring

Daring Moderator

We've had this discussion many times on this site. Like so many other things it comes down to personal taste. I prefer light and portable, but future expandability was also important to me. I liked the IBM, but cost and lack of upgrade options turned me off.

The Fujitsu T4020 is a nice tablet, but a bit pricy for your budget. As Brian points out, 14" and 5 lb don't go together yet. In the end I purchased a TC4200 and have been very pleased, but determine what factors are important to you.

9. spybld

spybld Pen Pal - Newbie

yes I see, I've yet to come across a 14" 5 pounder. I'm trying to decide between a r15, m4 and tc4200, but leaning toward the tc4200 due to the weight. All I need to do is get it close to my budget

But that fujitsu t4020 looks good....

-spy

10. Daring

Daring Moderator

Ria recently got an outstanding deal on a refurb TC4200 at CDW Outlet. Not sure if that will work for you, but if you're willing to go refurb you can certainly get a TC4200 in your budget.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.