Please help me find a pen to use on Surface Pro 2

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by yoyoshuyang, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

I like to use matte screen protectors with my devices. They provide several benefits over using a naked screen.

1. Reduce glare. I know a lot of people prefer the bright glossiness of bare screens but with prolonged use, the glare can really be a pain.

2. With reduced glare, it also means that you don't have to keep your screen as bright to be able to see what's on the screen. This also helps with eye fatigue, but it also helps with saving battery.

3. Provides much better tactile feedback for pen input. Matte screen protectors can help make your stylus on screen feel much closer to pen on paper. The pen I recommended has a hard plastic nib, which on glass doesn't feel great, but on a matte screen protector feels fantastic.

4. And obviously, they protect the screen from scratches. This also means you don't have to buy, and carry with you everywhere, a cover, which can increase the bulk of your device. If you know you won't be typing a lot on a particular session you can just put the tablet in your bag and go, instead of taking a type cover with you, knowing you won't scratch your screen in your bag.

The downside is that your display won't be as vibrant, but that is something you can get used to very quickly, and the effect is sometimes overblown.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  2. yoyoshuyang

yoyoshuyang Pen Pal - Newbie

@jjsa1985 That was very educational. Really, thank you for the help and taking time to write replies! It means the world for me!
    I feel so confused in such topics. And so helpless. I'm really thankful.

You're right, matte screen protector would be better. I really like the feeling you get when you draw on such a screen. Makes me like drawing even more.
    Since I only ever worked on either paper or small Wacom tablets, I am used to drawing on a matte surface and never had the chance to draw on a glossy screen. Which is why I started to wonder - isn't it uncomfortable? Scratching a glossy screen with a hard-nib stylus, like you mentioned. So, based on what you're saying I can imagine it DOES feel weird. Maybe not for everyone, but still.
    Thank you, I will definitely buy a matte screen.
    Should I buy two screen protectors already? How often do you have to change yours?

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<…do you use some kind of screen protection for your tablets?..>>

See posts #57 and #58 in this discussion thrtead for some observations about screen protectors with various levels of matte finish:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/the-best-screen-protector.21750/

<<...Should I buy two screen protectors already? How often do you have to change yours?..>>

...I would suggest that you buy one to start. The "feel" of a screen protector is the product of the pen nib and the screen protector finish. For this reason, the choice of a particular screen protector can be very much an issue of personal preference. Getting some experience will help you to decide what you like and don't like in a given brand of screen protector.

4. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, I would suggest reading a bit of that thread. TLDR, that thread mostly recommends photodon. I looked into it a bit but because I'm a cheapskate I usually buy the cheapest one I can find for my device on eBay or Amazon. As mentioned, the feel depends a lot on the nib of your stylus as much as the screen protector, so if you don't like the feel you may have to change the one or the other. In terms of how quickly they wear, I haven't had to replace mine because of wear but the longest I've had a device on which I inked regularly is may be two years. The cheap ones usually come in two or three packs, so if you mess up applying it you don't have to worry too much, and if the day comes that you do need to replace it you already have a spare. But as I said, I haven't had that problem yet.

5. yoyoshuyang

yoyoshuyang Pen Pal - Newbie

@Steve S , @jjsa1985 thank you! I'll definitely read the thread both of you recommended!
    Oh and I'm a cheapskate too haha
    I'll go with a matte screen first, so I can figure out if I like this kind of screen or not!
    Edit:
    Why the replacement nibs for this stylus are so expensive? I'm looking on Ebay, and they are more expensive than the actual pen!
    I wonder if this Fujitsu pen always ships with 5 replacement nibs, because I don't see them on most of the photos. Which is why I was looking for replacement nibs to buy separately.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.