Please help me find a pen to use on Surface Pro 2

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by yoyoshuyang, Jul 17, 2018.

1. yoyoshuyang

yoyoshuyang Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello!
    I bought a Surface Pro 2. Used, but in awesome condition. I know it's old, but I don't mind, I needed something cheap but powerful enough to be a mobile drawing studio...
    The thing is, I have been looking for a pen I could use on my SP2 for the whole day today and I'm really confused. I don't know if there's any compatible pen left for sale.
    I've seen topics like that, but those were from around 2013, and so the pens users recommended are impossible to buy now.
    If I don't find any compatible pen quickly, then I could still return the SP2. I will be a bit heartbroken, though.
    I saw Steve S saying that any Wacom pen with "UP" prefix would be compatible on the topic below:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/tabletpc-compatible-wacom-pens-surface-pro-pro2-only.55416/
    Sadly, now pretty much no one sells such pens.

I saw a cheap pen called Wacom UP-7721-02 , which is a pen for Bamboo Pad CTH-300/CTH-301 and looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    Would it be compatible?

Oh and also, I know Adonit Pen Ink and it would be awesome, but it apparently isn't compatible with SP2. I wonder why is that.

In case it matters, my SP2 runs Windows 10.

I would be really happy if somebody helped me.

2. Tonitti

Tonitti Scribbler - Standard Member

Hello, I have many wacom pens and my favourite is the last one I bought two years ago, the UP911E[​IMG]

It has the best ergonomics, two buttons and the best eraser, just like the ones on the intuos; most erasers on the thinner pens are almost useless, bad pressure sensitivity curves and the plastic almost scratches the tablet surface, not with this one, it is so good. It's not cheap but it's totally worth it. I bought it on ebay from a japanese store but i don't seem to find it right now.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    yoyoshuyang likes this.
  3. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

yoyoshuyang likes this.
  4. yoyoshuyang

Thank you guys! Really thank you, I was starting to think that nobody will reply.
    @Tonitti , UP911E looks perfect! I can't find it available in any stores, either. Seems like it's one of those pens that were really good but won't come back ever again.
    I know what you mean with "almost scratching the tablet surface", I experienced that too. But I have way less experience than you overall. I tried only 2 Wacom Pens in my life, since I had only two wacom tablets so far. First was Bamboo One, second is the Intuos Pen & Touch S (which I still have).
    The most stupid part is that I believed that SP2 is compatible with any and all wacom pens. Uh, if only life was so easy.

@jjsa1985 , thank you! You encouraged me to keep searching! At first I didn't really like the idea of importing a pen for SP2, because I'm lazy, impatient and usually shipping costs A LOT, but now I think...why not? If I find something good, I will surely buy it, even if I had to import it from Japan.

jjsa1985 likes this.
  5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Personally, love the Toshiba Trupen (and have purchased from this vendor)[​IMG]

6. jjsa1985

I'm not an artist, just a note taker, so my pen needs are modest, but these pens go for under $10 on eBay incl. shipping. I bought one which I believe was nearly identical to the one I linked, except it was white. I used it with an Asus vivotab note 8, which I no longer have. It was a good size but very light and felt hollow and cheap. Still, for $8 it got the job done. Plus it had two side buttons and the eraser tip on top, which is more than what you get with a lot of the more expensive pens. I must say, though, that Toshiba pen looks much nicer.

7. Tonitti

Tonitti Scribbler - Standard Member

My second choice would be the Lifebook pen, it has two buttons, the eraser is not good but apart from that it works very well, and last time I checked it was very available.

[​IMG]

8. yoyoshuyang

@DRTigerlilly thank you! I thought "cheap, good and available, looks too good to be real" and indeed it's not "real" for me, since refurb4less don't ship internationally anymore. I am from Europe and that's just sad. USA always has the best deals haha.
    I was trying to find this pen somewhere else, but no luck.
    Thank you for help!

@jjsa1985 hm, I'm not a pro artist, but would like to eventually become one. In order to do this, however, I have to train drawing a lot. Of course, some would say "hey then paper and a pencil would be enough!" but I honestly don't like drawing on paper, because there's not much place for mistakes. And also, in digital art there are more possibilities while it's cheaper in the long run.
    I see poor quality pens a lot, those that are not pressure sensitive at all, and working with them is like drawing with a mouse. I don't want to get into buying such a thing by my own lack of experience...
    Was this pen you used back in the day pressure sensitive?

@Tonitti oh thank you for another recommendation! It certainly is very available! I hope I found the model you meant, it looks the same, is a Lifebook pen and has a good price. Could you give it a quick look, please?
    https://www.ebay.com/p/Fujitsu-Life...89602-04/1608056924?iid=202354521183&thm=1000
    Someone even wrote in a review below the product's description that it works very well with their Surface Pro 2.

Thank you again for your replies, I feel a lot better now thanks to you guys. I thought it is impossible to find a pen working with SP2 now. It's a good tablet, too bad it's not supported by anyone anymore.

9. jjsa1985

It looks like the pen tonitti recommended is the same as the one I recommended.

10. yoyoshuyang

OH GOD you're right!! I'm sorry! I was kinda sceptic with the pen you suggested, because of the fact that the "lifebook" name was blurred on the photo, and I thought it read "lenovo", and thought this seller probably blurred the name because he sells weird knockoffs with no sensivity at all. That's one thing I'm really scared of. Bad pens with no pressure sensitivity at all, I mean.

Anyway, turns out the stylus you suggested is exactly the same as Tonitti. Sorry for being stupid.
    It has to be good if you guys both recommend it!
    On a side note, do you use some kind of screen protection for your tablets? Since their screens probably get scratched over time with all that drawing and writing with a pen, right? I don't really know how it is with tablets with glass screens. Like I mentioned, the only tablets I ever had were those non-LCD, regular, small Wacom tablets. Their screens scratched very easily.