Please help me decide Zbook x2 G4 or Spectre x360 15"

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Hyachan, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Hyachan

Hyachan Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,

Im have a budget of about 1500 and looking for my first pen-able laptop.
    I came across these 2 on ebay that fall into my budget bracket however i would want a machine with a non-battery stylus and easily replaceable nibs,
    Between these 2 which should i go for and Is there any other options that i have overlooked?

Thank you!

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I don't know which one is best for you, but out of curiosity: why eBay? With $1500 you're very close to being able to get a brand new loaded 14" version of the Spectre. The top contributor on this forum is a huge fan of his x360 14", see e.g. this post.

3. Hyachan

Hyachan Pen Pal - Newbie

Just came to realized X360 is n-trig and i need Emr,
    So Zbook X2 G4 is my only option now.

4. starllcraft

starllcraft Pen Pal - Newbie

However, the zbook x2 G4 is an old model three years ago, and HP has not updated it yet.
    Its advantages are 4K screen, upgradable 32g ram and independent graphics card, wacom customized intuos driver.
    But the disadvantages are very obvious. It's too heavy. The tablet computer alone has 1.65kg, and the endurance is also very poor. The drawing time is within 3 hours.

I think it's better to buy the new Galaxy Book flex, which has a 7-hour Drawing time and weighs 1.12kg.
    Except for 1080p screen resolution, everything else is very good.

WillAdams likes this.
  5. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Which country are you in? 1500 in the UK doesn't get you much whereas 1500 in the USA gets you a whole lot more.

The zBook is still a pretty good machine if you want to do a lot of 2D and some light 3D work. The Flex is a beast for weight and battery life and it's 1.6 inches diagonally bigger than the zbook.
    It really depends on the prime usecase of the buyer I think - a 4K screen is not to be sniffed at and even if the zbook is heavy - it's portable and very stable on a table for extended drawing.
    My downsides (owning a zbook) is that nearly every month there's always some HP updates to download - these are BIOS updates and other hardware settings drivers - I've never had a laptop that needed so mahy regular updates. The HP customised control panel is heavily based on Wacoms own panel but it seems to work primarily in support of Adobe Apps. It can and does forget the settings I applied for other software and it doesn't always sense when I'm using Clip Studio for example or any other Apps. I spent a lot of time setting up customised shortcuts and keypresses but if the panel thinks I'm using Adobe when I'm using Clip Studio - I find I'm setting off the wrong functions.

Right now, if it came to a choice between the 2018 zbook and a 2020 Flex - I'd probably go Flex, but first I'd need to see how the Samsung 1080p screen compares to an HP 4K Dreamcolor screen.

WillAdams likes this.
  6. Hyachan

Hyachan Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow i did not realize that Samsung has Emr laptop at all. But i'd rather go with 4k of Zbook however. Also ram upgradability is also quite a big deal.

7. Hyachan

Hyachan Pen Pal - Newbie

I live in Thailand but im looking at ebay us to purchase stuffs, I see that you are using Zbook as well do you have any alternative pen for this machine apart from HP pen?

8. doobiedoobiedum

Seriously - don't write off the HP zbook stylus pen - it's the only one that comes with alternative nibs as well as the hard black plastic Wacom nibs. The zbook has the same EMR and pen support as a lot of other laptops including the Galaxy Flex but only HP comes with the grey softer nibs.

Pretty sure if you try it - you'll like it.

Make sure you get a dreamcolour model if you go zBook. The colour is so much brighter and better than on the ordinary zbook screen.

9. Hyachan

Hyachan Pen Pal - Newbie

I thought alternative Wacom pen could be better for variety of nibs and nibs availability. If you say Hp zbook pen then it is.

10. doobiedoobiedum

Pen weight is a personal preference (for me the zbook stylus is a bit light) but in terms of nibs - these are Wacom nibs but made for HP. This page is for Lamy's EMR pen but it shows you the tablets that this version of Wacom EMR was built for - the zbook is in there.

https://www.lamy.com/en/emr/

However - only the HP stylus comes with 2 different nibs - all the rest use the hard black plastic Wacom nibs.

thatcomicsguy likes this.