Please help-Laptop getting very hot while using windows 8

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by saratkiran, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saratkiran

saratkiran Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

When im using windows 8 my tm2 is getting very hot for very few minutes . i think the fan is not working perfectly. If any one have any solution please help - i need to work on vs2011 on windows 8 but it is heating up very fast .

Thanks in advance

2. Feralboy

Feralboy Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow, I've had the same problem but assumed it was a hardware issue. After about 10 minutes of use, the tablet is so hot it stops responding and must be rebooted. I too am seeking a solution.

3. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Try switching graphics (if you have an Intel+AMD unit). Also try different Power Profiles.

On my TM2 with Win7, sometimes I have heating problems after accessing my network share to copy/move files. Every time it happens, I'm running on AMD graphics with the "Power Saver" profile. The temperature remains abnormally high till I either switch to Intel graphics or "Balanced" power profile.

4. saratkiran

saratkiran Pen Pal - Newbie

Can u tell me how to switch ?? in windows 7 its fine ; we can switch using tm2 control ; Im not able to install it in windows 8 .

5. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Sorry, I don't use Win8. I'm sure someone here can help you with that. However, the switch might not solve your problem.

6. Person264

Person264 Pen Pal - Newbie

The normal way to switch graphics is to right click on your desktop and click "configure switchable graphics". Have you installed the graphics drivers from HP in windows 8 (in compatibility mode)?

7. zeigan

zeigan Pen Pal - Newbie

If you only notice the overheating while on battery, then I can tell you why it is doing that. By default Win 8 sets the fan to passive cooling to prolong the battery. When on AC the setting changes to Active cooling. I noticed this happening on mine as well and had to reboot because of slow response. Sure enough, without active cooling, the fan stays at a constant low speed and won't speed up when temps go up. To enable active cooling while on battery without completely changing your power plan, go to Power Options from Control Panel (control panel>hardware and sound>power options) then select Change plan settings. Then select Change advanced power settings. In the new window, scroll down to Processor power management, expand it, then go to System cooling policy and expand that. Change from Passive under On battery to Active. Hit OK and that should help.

8. A30N

A30N Technologist

I had this issue with both Developer Preview and Consumer Preview, and it was from using HP's hybrid graphics drivers. It actually got so hot that it caused the ATI chip to unseat, and I had to disable the ATI card offline with a rescue USB drive. I did fix it by tearing it down and carefully heating the chipset with a torch lighter set on low and applying gentle downward pressure. I also added higher quality thermal compound, and added two more screws to the heatsink over the ATI chip (only two are used from the factory) to secure the chip properly. Still, Windows 8 almost killed my $1300 laptop!!!

Until HP releases official drivers, disable the ATI graphics in Device Manager or risk damaging your laptop.

9. jonpet

jonpet Scribbler - Standard Member

same issue in win 8 rtm, runs very hot and fans come on at once. Not usable as it is.

10. sunf188

sunf188 Pen Pal - Newbie

make for yourself cooling pad

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

EX not cooling pad : HP M6 1045DX (HD 4000) Test Need For Speed Most Wanted 2012 Not cooling pad - YouTube
    EX have cooling pad :

[video=youtube;1kRxdOqrzEQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kRxdOqrzEQ[/video]

good luck !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.