Please help!!! Cracked HP Tx2000

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by GenuiNe, Nov 12, 2008.

1. mbbrino

mbbrino Pen Pal - Newbie

I cracked my screen I need advice on what I should do. I'm a college student so I'm freaking out and broke. Is there any way I can fix it on my own? I tried to but then backed out in the middle and now the touch screen isn't working. I 'm losing sleep and going crazy. Is there any way anyone can post pictures so that I can see the process? Some advice? PLEASE!!!! =[

2. KratosAurion

KratosAurion Pen Pal - Newbie

Had the same problem; dropped my tx2000 on solid ground, glass broke, touch function stopped working, s*** happened. Company told me they'd fix it for me and it would cost 550$, I was like, no, that's too much. I checked out ebay, and I found a used lcd monitor for the tx2000, I bought it and replaced it myself, and that cost me 250$ including shipping, more than half price.

3. Huff2386

Huff2386 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same problem, would you mind posting the pictures of how you removed the glass? How did it work out for you long term without having the glass? Thanks for your help

4. IamGibby

IamGibby Pen Pal - Newbie

Wonder why he posted that he would upload then never did... Maybe he was just trying to brag about something he didn't do?

Hopefully he did and will upload the photos, something like this really could help the other people who don't have ADH plans and are on a budget.

5. rmc0315

rmc0315 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have done this fix. I didn't take any pics while I was working on it, but I can try to describe it as best I can...

First, shut down your laptop and remove the power cord. Also make sure to remove the battery.

Next, turn the screen around and lock it so the face is upward, as if you were drawing on the screen.

Remove the screws from the four corners of the bezel. Also remove the four screws on both sides of the web cam and base on the bezel, (There are small square rubber covers over these screws).

Before you remove the bezel, keep in mind the fingerprint reader and make sure you unhook the cable attached to the back of the fingerprint scanner while removing the bezel.

Now that you have the bezel off, you will need a razor blade to remove the broken screen. There are three layers on the screen. The top layer is a very thin plastic. The second layer is the glass pressure screen. The lowest layer is the actual LCD screen.

The ONLY area you want to cut with the razor blade is the very edge of the lip holding the glass to the LCD. There is a small black line of adhesive all the way around the edge of the glass that glues it to the LCD screen. This black adhesive is what you need to cut to remove the broken glass. Be sure to watch the inside edge of the razor so you do not touch the LCD screen itself!

As you cut the glass out be sure not to touch the LCD with your fingers. Also watch to not puncture it with the razor or broken glass. The small pieces of glass can be blown off, or turn the laptop over a trash can and gently shake them off.

As you take the glass out, you will see the small plastic cover separate from the broken glass. Remove the plastic cover very carefully because this is the protective screen that goes back on top of your LCD screen when you are finished.

There are two magnets in the sides of the screen. One on the top right and one on the bottom right. As you cut beside these the magnets may give you a little trouble. Be very careful...

You will see a small copper colored connection on the side of the glass opposite of the fingerprint reader. This is the sensor for the pressure. try to remove this area last. That way, you can lift the glass with the ribbon connected and just cut the adhesive that holds it to the glass. This way the ribbon is still good should you buy new glass later on.

If you have any garbage on your LCD try to clean it off very lightly with a soft dry cloth. Be VERY CAREFUL not to damage the LCD. Also, clean any glass or garbage from the adhesive border of the LCD. Try to leave as much adhesive on the screen as you can.

Now place the plastic cover sheet back over the LCD screen and make sure to rub the edges lightly to glue it back to the adhesive as best as possible.

Make sure to attach the cable to the back of the fingerprint scanner while you are putting the bezel back into place. Put back all of the screws and screw covers.

Attach the battery and the power cable and start it up.

If all went well, you should now have perfect screen quality again!!

Just remember to be easy on the screen from now on. Clean it very lightly...;)

Hope this helps someone. :)

6. alghonaimy

alghonaimy Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone tried this method: Is the stylus still functioning after removing the crystal ?
    I understand that touch is not working anymore but what about the stylus?

Please help because my screen is broken but the stylus is still working now and I want to know what will happen after removing the crystal.

7. Darkfrost

Darkfrost Pen Pal - Newbie

Just did this mod to mine. Dropped my tablet half a meter, and the touchscreen smashed, the touch was really screwed up, but the stylus worked fine.

Carefully cut out and removed the touchscreen, now the touchscreen doesn't respond at all (Mainly because it's on my desk and not in the laptop anymore), but the stylus still works 100%.

Getting a sheet of perspex made to replace the broken glass atm, since the screen is REALLY flimsy without anything there.

8. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey Darkfrost thanks for your post.

Dropped my tx2500 from around 1,5m :(

But the laptop, display and pen input is still working great. Just the finger-touch isn't working anymore...

So when I remove the cracked glass the stylus is still working? this would be great.

9. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

Here are a few photos I made:

Remove the screws behind all the 8 gums: http://i40.tinypic.com/208v98w.jpg. The frame is still a bit fixed but you can remove it with gentle force.
    [​IMG]

This is the best you can do. Saved a lot of money.
    Im searching for a new touchscreen-panel now but it's hard to find one for 12,1" :(

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. murray2552

murray2552 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just had this problem and rmc0315's instructions. It was a little tedious, but not terribly difficult to remove the glass. The screen is totally fine now and the stylus works, although I don't want to use it since there's no glass in there to protect the LCD. Anyone know where I can order a replacement or custom piece of glass or acrylic or anything??

Also here's some pics from my laptop surgery:
    [​IMG]
    the touchscreen still worked, but the glass was shattered

[​IMG]
    removed the cover

[​IMG]
    I peeled off the plastic layer first, so I could tell what I was doing - it was not damaged - keep this for later, you'll stick it back over the LCD

[​IMG]
    cut through the sticky border. It was difficult at times to get around things on the perimeter of the monitor and I almost cut through some of the wires by accident, so be careful the tip doesn't hit the LCD and the blade doesn't cut anything else.

[​IMG]
    removing the glass, piece by piece. Make sure the points of the glass pieces don't scratch the LCD- try to lift them from the inside and hinge them outward or something.

[​IMG]
    Save the piece connected to the pressure sensor for last. Then you can peel it up and stick the pressure sensor back down. Not sure exactly how it works, but my touchscreen still functions with the stylus.