Please help!!! Cracked HP Tx2000

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by GenuiNe, Nov 12, 2008.

1. GenuiNe

GenuiNe Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello.
    I have an Hp Tx2000 with a cracked protective glass (I dropped it:( "). However, the display and touch screen work fine :) . I wanted to know if it is actually possible to replace only the glass and about how much it would cost. Would I order an lcd replacement or something else? Please help I'm so confused!! Also, is this something I could do on my own? As a broke college student I'm trying to save every dime! Thanks!

2. Jor-dan

Jor-dan Tablet-Loving Student

it'd cost more to order a replacement and do it yourself.

Get yourself the accidental protection plan ASAP. Don't tell them it's broken. Wait a few weeks, then send it in for replacement.

First, a disclaimer: no I don't know if that'll work :p

Other idea: check eBay for a bricked tx2000. I think tx2500 might work too, but you'll need the corresponding pen.

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

@ Jor-dan tx2500 & tx2000 use the same pen.

4. rocke86

rocke86 Scribbler - Standard Member

I've heard of someone taking the glass out and going to a local glass manufacturing company and having them make a replacement. Look around online.

Be careful to get the measurements perfect.

5. grajohnson75

grajohnson75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Sounds spendy...

6. Jor-dan

Jor-dan Tablet-Loving Student

Yeah, since posting that I've managed to find that out :)

The thing was... I was at a Fry's electronics, and they had a tx2120 and a tx2510 side by side... and the pens were NOT interchangeable... maybe there was just a driver conflict or something.. i dunno.

7. lexcavaj

lexcavaj Pen Pal - Newbie

actually, they are... i both have a tx2110 and tx2510 and im using the pen that came with the tx2110 on both machines. i think you should double check.

8. Thokas

Thokas Too many laptops...

The touch screen is glued to a sheet of glass. It is possible to use a razor and remove the touch screen. If you could get glass to spec it would be a matter of gluing the screen back down. The actual part number for the screen is part of a assembly. You can't just order the touch screen without the LCD. Those assemblies cost alot, a repair center will charge you an arm and leg to replace it.

Jordan's idea is the best, get the ADH, don't tell them it's broken. Wait a few weeks and send it in. It will save you money, and if you are lucky the unit will got cost exceeds and you will get a new product exchange.

9. kapblp

kapblp Scribbler - Standard Member

What would it take for this to happen. I'm asking because I had the ADH and broke my display a couple weeks ago and sent mine it. They replace everything but the hard drive, cd rom, and bottom casing. Mobo, screen, and keyboard all replaced. Given what they are charging for the display you'd think just replacing my whole system would have been cheaper for HP.

10. GenuiNe

GenuiNe Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone thank you so much for all the wonderful advice!

As an update, I ended up fixing my problem by removing the protective plasic on top of the lcd which allowed me to access the broken peices of glass after that, it was simply a matter of carefully removing the adhesive that held the glass and lcd together. It was rather risky but it worked out! I have some pics of the process if anyone wants to see. Once again thanks, I'm so happy this burden is gone!