Please help a university student

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by SimsHsia, Oct 28, 2007.

1. checkered_zebra

checkered_zebra Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, and thanks in advance to anybody who replies.

I'm new to the tablet scene and have pretty much decided it's the way I want to go to take notes in my lectures at university. I live in the UK so options are limited, I can't even find anywhere that keeps models in so I can try one.

I've been considering the two below?

1. Are these good choices?
    2. Which is better?
    3. Is the extra price of the Toshiba worth it?
    4. Is there any other convertibles I should be considering?

Lenovo X61 Tablet 7767 £1,345.80 inc. VAT

Manufacturers #: UU5B8UK
    Memory - 1GB DDR II SDRAM
    Hard Drive - 120GB
    Display - 12.1in TFT active matrix 1024 x 768 Multitouch
    Battery - Lithium Ion 2.9hour(s) run time (max) (would buy 8 cell battery aswell to increase capacity £111.60 inc. VAT )
    Processor - Intel 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo L7500
    Operating System - Microsoft Windows Vista Business
    Optical Drive - None
    Wireless - 802.11a /b/g, Bluetooth

Toshiba R400 - 106 £1,534.97 inc. VAT

Manufacturers #: PPR40E-00901LEN
    Memory - 2GB DDR II SDRAM
    Hard Drive - 80GB
    Display - 12.1in TFT active matrix 1280 x 800
    Screen Resolution - 1280 x 800
    Processor - Intel 1.2GHz Core Duo U2500
    Operating System - Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
    Optical Drive - None
    Wireless - 802.11a /b/g, Bluetooth 2.0 EDR

I have tried to answer these best I can.

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

About £1400 - £1800

2. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?

Convertible

3. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Small and light ~ 5" to 8.9"
    Compact ~ 10"
    Mainstream ~ 12.1"
    Large ~ 14"

Mainstream

4. Which country do you intent to purchase from?

UK

5. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

One of the larger firms only ie toshiba, lenovo, fujitsu, etc

6. How many hours battery life do you require?

Anything around 4 would surfice

7. What do you intend to use the Tablet for?

Note taking at university

8. Do you have an OS preference?

Vista

9. What software and tasks do you intend to run?

Mostly office and web surfing

10. Do you intend playing Games. If so please list.

No, don't play any games

Screen Specifics

1. Do you prefer standard or widescreen?

Not bothered

2. What resolution do you prefer?
    XGA - 1024x768 ~ Large and easy to read text and graphic icons but you fit less on the screen.
    SXGA - 1400x1050 ~ Small text and graphic icons which require good vision but the gain is a much larger screen.
    WXGA - 1280x768 ~ Wider viewing angle of XGA but ideal for viewing Spreadsheets and other programs that require desktop space.

Not bothered

3. Do you require an Indoor only or Indoor/Outdoor screen option?
    See explanation below for guidance.

Not bothered

4. Do you require a Passive or Active Digitizer?

Active Digitiser

5. Do you require Wacom or Finepoint Technology?

Wacom

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?

80Gb + will be fine
    min 1Gb, can always upgrade later

2. Do you require an Optical Drive?

Not bothered

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?

No

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

No

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

Do like the option of using the pen and also touch offered by the lenovo

Thanks again for any suggestions / help.

2. cooljoe10

cooljoe10 Football Star(slotback)

i really like the r400 and my friends dad has one. the x61 is also nice but its your choice. you may also want to think about the Fujitsu LifeBook T4220 Tablet PC, which is what i would go with.

3. bigndnd

bigndnd Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a C-140x with the following:
    Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate (32-bit)
    Operating System Backup Media: Windows Vista® Ultimate Backup Media (32-bit)
    Application Software: Microsoft Office Professional
    Security Software: McAfee® 90-day Internet Security Suite Complimentary Subscription with VirusScan, Personal Firewall Plus, SpamKiller & Privacy Service v. 1.2 (for Windows Vista®)
    Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7300 (2.00GHz, 800MHz, 4MB L2 Cache)
    Memory: 4096MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2-2048)
    Hard Drive: 100GB 7200rpm Serial ATA hard drive

BOOOOO-YAHHHHH

Works with any game.

4. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi bigndnd,

Unfortunately, for those that are outside of the U.S., they are unable to get either of the two Tablet PCs Gateway provides. Provided that checkered_zebra resided in the U.S. would the C-140X (or C-120X for that matter) be a good recommendation.

checkered_zebra,

In terms of performance, the X61t will fair better than the R400, especially with Windows Vista. Usually the R400, over here in the U.S., is much more expensive than the X61t, depending on configuration. If you like the looks of the R400 over the X61t, that is a valid reason for some users to go for it, others look over it because of the price and go look at other Tablet PCs.

Have you also considered the Fujitsu LifeBook T4220 or T2010? You may need to call up Fujitsu-Siemens UK Sales and inquire if they have a student discount. P8RSON may intervene here as he resides in the UK and knows FSUK.

5. PhysicsMaestro

PhysicsMaestro Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm surprised people reccommend the Lenovo X61t. Those bezel issues sound like enough trouble to keep me away from it (and the long build times). I ordered a Fujitsu T4220 and it should be here Tuesday.

6. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks SimsHsia for the flag request for checkered_zebra on FSCUK & Student Discounts.

checkered_zebra
    Unfortunately FSCUK do not adopt a Student Discount scheme.

It is in fact something I have raised with them before.
    Unfortunately, unlike places such as the States which offer many Student deals, not many UK companies get direct backing and support from both the Government and in the case of Computer Goods, companies such as Intel or other major component players.

You are better off approaching your University and asking them if they have any current offers in place.

As to which machine I would recommend you ~ my thoughts go with both SimsHsia and PhysicsMaestro in also recommending the Fujitsu Siemens T4220.

Without doubt it is an excellent machine; having a first class Customer Service & Tech Support line, the machines are built to the highest standards.

7. checkered_zebra

checkered_zebra Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you all so much for your response.

I have looked at the Fujitsu and I just don't like the positioning of the pen on the screen, I know it may seem silly, but having to use it everyday it just seems like something that will annoy me.

I have watched a few videos of various models being reviewed. If only there was such a thing as a perect world and I could take the best features of each.

As regards my university helping me, the it services looked at me like I waas an idiot when I mentioned I wanted a tablet PC. I cannot understand why they haven't killed off the normal laptop (other than price that is)

Kieron

8. cooljoe10

cooljoe10 Football Star(slotback)

i felt the same way with the pen(but some people dont mind it), you might want to see if one of your class mates has one of the tablets you want and test theirs out

9. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Yeah, that's about the same response you'll get almost anywhere, unless if the university itself has a Tablet PC program for incoming or current students. At the IT Department I work at, there is little talk about Tablet PCs, but we do support them regardless. I also saw in one of the files mentioning about the (then) Fujitsu LifeBook T4210 comparing to other Tablet PCs and notebooks for annotation features of our document cameras found in all classrooms, conference rooms, and the two lecture halls. :)

As for the stylus pen placement, it's subjective for each user. As cooljoe10 states, some don't mind, and others do. Its practical use of having the pen right there when you need it and you can visually (and quickly) inspect to see if the pen is there; whereas most other models have a pen slot, and at times when one is in a rush to go from one class to another. By the time they need the pen, the pen may not necessarily be inside the pen slot. Nevertheless both pen slot/garage and the stylus holder on the screen itself do their jobs of holding and retaining the pen when the time comes to use it. :)

10. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Chris above is spot on with the pen holder....

It may appear weird to some to have it located on the screen but again I myself would rather it be placed where it is...... at least you never ever loose the pen. :)