Plea for information... anyone out there using a non OEM usb cord? (can no longer charge device)

Discussion in 'Dell' started by plasticslug, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plasticslug

plasticslug Pen Pal - Newbie

I cant charge my dell venue 11 anymore... it caps at 60 percent when charged overnight with a non OEM usb cord.

I have tired several different cords and can not get a decent charge.. in fact it actually loses battery.

The other cord would quick charge the device in about 45 minutes, and the charger would get really hot.

I have searched several different posts and have seen something about the usb having short pins.. .what ever that means. Dell does not sell the cord... part number - H JH28m

Is anyone out there quick charging their device with non USB cable?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  2. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes, on my DV8P, 2-3 of them. As I understand matters, at least with the DV8P, Dell shorted the circuitry within the charger itself. And so any generic USB cable should work fine with the charger.

3. plasticslug

plasticslug Pen Pal - Newbie

You think it could be a software issue then ...holding a charge back?

4. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No, it probaly are to thin cables.
    If I look at the normal cable and then at those fast charge cable, later are double the size.
    Bigger diameter == less resistence == higher charge

5. Mikerman

Truth to that--a thinner generic USB cable that I had seemed to charge the tablet a bit slower.

6. jdstoledo

jdstoledo Pen Pal - Newbie

I thought my DV8P was broken at one point when energy use starting exceeding charge speed. Turns out it was a generic cable. I grabbed the original and all problems are solved. There's definitely a difference and that cable size/shielding/whatever is optimized nicely.

7. Mikerman

I am now using a Blackberry Playbook charger with integrated cable and foldaway prongs, and it's been great. No charging issue and the cable is 6'5" long (no more stumbling). It may charge slightly slower (maybe 10%?) than the Dell charger, as the charger is rated at 1.8A as versus the Dell charger's 2A (but I'm just guessing, here, from the power ratings, as it's been charging just fine--and someone here who tested the Dell charger found that it output 1.7-1.8A).

Nicely, at around $3.50-$4 shipped from Amazon.com sellers (and I lucked into a $1.29 deal, including shipping, no less). This is with a DV8P, by the way.

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/del...de-charger-currently-around-3-50-shipped.html

8. SolidSonicTH

SolidSonicTH Pen Pal - Newbie

I was using a micro USB cable that came with an old phone back at my mom's place to charge my V8P. I had two there and one of them (that came with an LG Chocolate 3) didn't work to charge the V8P even with the stock charger (even though it did charge my Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 through its stock charger with no fuss). The other cable (that came with an HTC Droid Incredible) worked to charge the V8P.

9. baxter

baxter Scribbler - Standard Member

The charging current is controlled by the device, not the charger. The device will ask for what it wants and it is up to the charger to supply it. If the V8P battery is deeply discharged ( < 20% or so ), it will draw 1.7-1.8A as Mikerman states. This tapers off to a few mA as the charged capacity approaches 100%. Poor cable and/or charger = flakey charging. A cable with large AWG wire (26 -28) might charge at 60% device capacity, but not at less than 20%. Mikerman's outstanding Blackberry charger find performs 100% of the time. I bought 3 and am very pleased with them.

Two superior cables:
    20 AWG (very rare, ~ no voltage drop), charge/data
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009Z94PV2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

22AWG, shorted D+/D-, charge only
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088HTYUE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

10. D. Ocho

D. Ocho Pen Pal - Newbie

Using an old Nokia cable for my DV11P works like a charm.