Played with the iPad and thinking of buying a TM2, please help

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by tvu732, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seketh

Seketh Moderator Moderator

I would actually have an iPad right now if it had pen funcionality, plus a new laptop for games and media.

But since the iPad has very little funcionality, I chose the TM2. It ended up being cheaper, and a much, much better choice. I

It really surprised me, especially battery life, it's the perfect laptop/tablet for college.

2. papi

papi Scribbler - Standard Member

If you are trying to choose between the iPad and the TM2 you might want to wait for the HP Slate. I think you will find some middle ground in the Slate.

3. Meatlocker

Meatlocker Software Development Pro

I used my finger, which is what everyone will use unless they buy a specialized stylus. There is no way to convert to text, either, which is another deal breaker for me.

4. tvu732

tvu732 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes I know about apps like Goodreader and HD Sharing. However, I still think that syncing the iPad with other devices is a headache. I have thought about buying the Ipad as an extension of my computer; maybe I should wait for the Eee Pad (or whatever Pad is coming in the next few months.) :D I don't really like HP Slate because it has Windows 7, which is not suitable for such a small gadget.

The iPad's 3G data plan is really sweet but I don't use 3G as much. I'm on ly interested in its GPS function.

I'm gonna wait until HP releases a new coupon for the Tm2 and get one. Really interested in it.

5. Synergi

Synergi Scribbler - Standard Member

You can't go wrong with the TM2. I only a Asus gaming laptop, a netbook, and a MacBook. The TM2 is my favorite laptop because its so well rounded.

As for others waiting for the HP slate. Unless HP makes some changes, they totally missed the boat on it. It does have a digitizer (don't know what kind) support. However, its suppose to have a MAx of 1 gig running full Windows 7. Can you imagine the nightmare that will be? My netbook now slows to a crawl with 2gigs if I try to do to many things at once.

The other issues with all these tablets I've seen coming out. None of them have a OS that is built from the ground up. The TM2 has a HP UI that is very nice. However the moment you open a program that isn't part of the UI (which is most of the time) you're tossed back out onto the windows desktop. After a while you don't even bother with the HP UI.

I'm not sure Steve Jobs will ever add a pen to the iPad. He seems to hate pens for some reason. But it being dumb down is common to entice you every year as he trickles more features onto the next refresh model.

Hopefully Google, Microsoft or someone gets a clue and stop putting desktop OS on these touch devices and build it for touch from the ground up.

6. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One of my favorite subjects of conversation, the iPad versus the tm2!

I’m probably the world’s BIGGEST tm2 fan so I’m a little biased. Yes the machine has a couple of issues, the screens viewing angles could be improved and the touchpad is ok but could be better. And sure we could debate weight, battery life etc. but personally this is the finest Tablet PC I’ve ever owned, the tm2 is number six.

I’ve played with the iPad a couple of times, once on launch day at my local Best Buy and I once played with a friends to test my time head to head at web browsing over the same WiFi route, to test web browsing performance. It got a little ugly with the iPad at times, not sure if he was having WiFi issues or not with it, not talked to him since. I admit it does have a gorgeous screen and no issues with viewing angles. Yeah its light but not so light that you’d carry it around all the time like a phone, it definitely needs a home base.

I really thought about buying one at Best Buy on the 3rd but my other computer is an ultra-gaming rig and I just bought3 GTX 480s and an i7-980x CPU so I really didn’t have the cash to blow on something that would have been a fancy coaster anyway.

The main issue for me about the iPad as a long time TPC user though is its lack of areal pen and true OS support for digital ink.

As others have said, the tm2 is just a well rounds device that’s not only a Jack of all trades; it’s a master of a few of them.