Played with the iPad and thinking of buying a TM2, please help

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by tvu732, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KensingtonPark

KensingtonPark Pen Pal - Newbie

I have both and like them both. I don't find the two to be comparable at all. I really haven't done any real work on the iPad. It's just there to browse and look up information. Even then, I have to hope that I don't want to print what I'm looking at. But it starts immediately, and it gets to those basic tasks very quickly and does those tasks very well.

TM2 means real work, because it is a real computer. All websites will work (unlike the iPad), I can print, and I get a full-size screen. It has great battery life, as well.

2. RZetlin

RZetlin Scribbler - Standard Member

The iPad cost: $499.99
    The TM2 cost: $899.99

It's worth spending $400 more for the HP TM2 which can do much more than the iPad.

3. Synergi

Synergi Scribbler - Standard Member

Laying flat, the TM2's viewing angle isn't good. I tilt/prop mine up at an angle with a lapdesk or a notebook stand and that solves that issue.

I wouldn't say you couldn't do work on the iPad. You can always pick up pages and email the files to yourself. I heard there is another program that will let your iPad act as a hard drive and you can wirelessly move files between it and the pc/mac.

There is also a program for the iPad called Penultimate that lets you take hand written notes with your finger or a stylus like Pogo sketch or the Dagi stylus. I've never used any of these myself, but that app is one of the top 5 apps so it must be decent.

That said, nothing beats Wacom. If you want a smooth writing experience then get the TM2. They both have their up's and downs. To me, the iPads star feature is that 30 dollar data plan.

4. tvu732

tvu732 Pen Pal - Newbie

When playing with the iPad I asked a sales associate: Can I save this PDF file to iPad? He said, "No, but you can email it to yourself or store it online using MobileMe" (of course, with a fee!) That's what I hate about iPad. I don't want to rely on internet connection to retrieve my files, and my email is not meant to be a storage! If I want to sync the file with my computer, it has to have iTunes installed. And of course I can't share my files with my friend's computers if they don't have iTunes and internet is unavailable. Nice! I can accept an iPad without Flash, without a camera, even without multitasking, but the lack of USB port and the ability to save/organize files locally is a big deal-breaker for me.

I'm using the 2730p but I want a multi-touch screen with crisper images and free of sparkles. But it seems that no multi-touch tablet PC has a bright, crisp screen that the iPad has except the Tm2t.

5. dgitalchaos

dgitalchaos Guest

I know there are topics about the screens that ship with the tm2, and people were saying that the AUO screen was the worse one, and the Samsung one was the good one. I have the AUO screen, and I love it, it's way brighter, sharper, and more "crisp" than the tx2 I used to have. Blidwolf did a comparison of two AUO screens, and the newer one seamed better, sharper, and richer in colors. Perhaps AUO got their things together.

I put it side by side to an iPad, and the screen looks good on both. The iPad has a better view for the angles, but the AUO doesn't bother me that much, especially since there are many other new notebooks out there that don't look this good. When I turn the screen around to tablet mode, with the hinge away from me, the angle is decent. When it's portrait mode in either direction, it's also rather decent.

I didn't like the iPad because it's not a computer, it's just an over sized iPod that can run proprietary programs made for it, like any other portable device that isn't a computer.

I was too disappointed in the iPad since it's intro, as I wanted to get one, but once it was released, I decided for the tm2, and I'm VERY glad I went with this decision.

So I guess it boils down to these two things:

1. If you want a toy, or giant iPod that you can't take to the gym with you, and which has no camera, USB ports, or any regular standards, then go for the iPad.

2. If you want a great notebook computer that will run Windows programs rather well, that has HDMI, USB ports, bright touchscreen, and full functionality, go for the tm2.

6. jonthebru

jonthebru Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered my TM2 the weekend the iPad was released. I was looking at the variables of repairing my old computer vs getting a new one and stumbled on the gotapex discount website. Looking at the TM2 I realized that many of the shortcomings of the tablet computers had been finally fixed with this model. I got 500 Gb HDD, 4 gB Ram, and the upgraded video card. Now having worked through the learning curve and actually going to an apple store to look at the iPad I am very happy with this TM2.
    The iPad will succeed and the next generations will be awesome. (Every iPhone model is double the speed of the previous model.) But you will always be limited to the itunes store, and the way it has to work with a computer. I wanted a real computer. That is what this TM2 is. All the problems and complaints that are on these pages are basically true, but mine worked out of the box, it does what I expect it to do and this user is very happy. The $450.00 discount and free shipping didn't hurt any.
    I didn't do a clean install or attempt any changes. (I dual boot linux on my other computers.) I did load my music and video library on and use them around the house.
    I recommend this convertible tablet the TM2T.

7. Synergi

This is one of the Apps that has a lot of attention. And this one for takings notes with your finger or a Pogo/dagi stylus.

I totally understand where you are coming from. I'm just saying while it isn't as easy as save as, there are work arounds. I totally wouldn't buy it for its work ability. Like I said before, I think the data plan is the real star if you get the 3g version.

With all that said, if I had to pick one or the other, it isn't even a contest. The TM2 wins all the way. If you want a real work horse and well rounded tablet, the TM2 is great, especially with the ATI option.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. Meatlocker

Meatlocker Software Development Pro

I just played with Penultimate on my father-in-law's iPad, and it is terrible for note taking. There is no way to resize the brush, and you run out of real estate very quickly when writing. I got about 4 words out before needing to start a new line, and about 4 lines total per screen doing the best I could.

For a quick, simple (think stick-man) sketch, sure. For a serious student...not a chance.

9. Synergi

Did you use your finger or a stylus Meatlocker? Using a stylus is suppose to let you be more precise. Keep in mind I haven't used any of these, I've just read around to see how people have found work arounds. It doesn't matter in the end how good a app like this is, it will never beat a Wacom.

I really don't get why Apple just ignored the pen market. The iPad would have sold a lot more then it has already if they had included this.

10. zeello

zeello Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow this is kinda like me. I was trying to decide forever whether to get a tm2 or an iPad. It wasn't until I went to the apple store just to try an iPad before I was dispelled of it as well as realized that the iPad has no functionality.

I ended up getting neither, instead an XP tablet which is even cheaper than an iPad. (though I'm currently experiencing a number of headaches with it..)