Played with the iPad and thinking of buying a TM2, please help

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by tvu732, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tvu732

tvu732 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,
    Last Sunday I played with the iPad at Apple Store. I was wowed by its bright, crisp screen, its lightweight and long battery hour. But I didn't pull the trigger because no matter how beautiful it is, the iPad is still a toy that I don't know what to do with. If it was able to sync with my PC better, work with more file types, or store and organize files locally like a PC can, I would pay for it. But...:(

Anyway the iPad reminded me how I missed the glossy, bright screen since I've started using my current 2730p. It is a nice, sturdy machine, but I don't like the hazy/sparkly effect on its matte screen, short battery hour, and terrible pen calibration. At Apple Store I had to bump up its brightness level to 80-100% to match with the iPad's brightness. And I want to have a dual digitizing screen too.

So I'm thinking of the tm2t. I know it has a beautiful glossy screen when looking directly at it, but how about the viewing angle in landscape mode? I write in landscape mode 99% of the time. Because of the Tm2's bump I think I will only use the secondary landscape mode (i.e. with the hinge pointed away from me). If viewing angle is not good enough to write in a classroom then I will not buy it.

How about its battery life at, say, 80% brightness? I know people tend to dim the screen while on battery power, but I can't do that because I mostly need its brightness when on battery. Classroom, conference room, shaded outdoor area, etc. usually have plenty of light and not easy to find a nearby power outlet there.

In addition, please tell me about the quality of the Tm2's keyboard and touchpad, and if its digitizer is accurate especially on the egdes of the screen. Is the writing surface glassy or pen-and-paper like? Thank you.

2. beere

beere Pen Pal - Newbie

That's exactly my point, it's just a toy to play with but you cant work with it.
    I don't understand why you like to have a glossy screen (i put an anti-glare screen protector on mine) but now i could use it with the lowest brightness in tablet landscape mode to write notes on university (no problem to read with this) and get easily a runtime of more than 6-7 hours (never tried the maximum but i have wireless of most of the time if i dont need it).
    I don't think your class rooms are that brighter and you'll never need 80%!

The touchpad is really great. I like the size but yes you need a few hours some time because the buttons are integrated - but i would never change it to a smaller one with excluded ones.
    Keyboard is also a bit better than my Dell Vostro 1500.

On the edge of the screen on mine the cursor is about 2mm away from the top of the pen.

I think for this price-category you cannot expect more. I absolutely get what i expected.

Hope i helped you a bit ;)

3. tvu732

tvu732 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks. The brightness on my 2730p is not bad, you can still write at a lower brightness level, like 50%. It's just not very comfortable and I wish I could increase brightness without worrying about it draining the battery. I also turn wifi off while I'm taking notes. :)

Viewing angle in landscape mode is my biggest concern because I don't want to have to lean forward while I'm inking. Do you feel comforable looking at the screen when you take notes? Are the colors inverted or degraded?

4. johnyeah

johnyeah Scribbler - Standard Member

I think the biggest deal breaker for most people about the TM2 is the viewing angle. It really is the biggest weakness. The vertical viewing angle is not good, horizontal doesn't seem like a problem. There are other flaws about the TM2 you can find in the thread section "Who is not happy with their TM2?"

Personally, I think TM2 is a solid laptop. It's not perfect and has some minor flaws (or not so minor flaws if you got a defective machine). I.e. not so great touchpad (it works for me, but the multitouch scrolling function on the touchpad was a real disappointment). For me, the only problem I have with the machine is the boot time, which is a problem for any HDD based laptop (but I'm soon upgrading to a SSD).

You might be interested in the 2740p.

5. achuang

achuang Pen Pal - Newbie

I think the viewing angle is okay. I mean, laying my tm2 on the table and writing in secondary landscape isn't too bad. People complain about the glossiness and how it reflects too much. I myself find it acceptable, and am not bothered by it. I don't see the reflections too much unless I really focus on trying to see them. That's just me though.

I don't use the trackpad much, so I can't comment on that, but the design is not bad. It's just that fusing the two buttons with the rest of the trackpad wasn't the greatest idea, as one can easily move the cursor while trying to press down on the button.

The screen brightness though, is one of the least concerns I have. It is very nice. At the brightest setting, it is very... bright, but even it's lowest setting is decent. I compared it to my tx2500, and my tm2 at 0% brightness is just as bright as my tx2500 at 40% brightness. Might be the screen protector on my tx2500 though.

Battery life is decent, too. At 40% brightness, I can get about 5 hours 45 minutes to 6 hours, while at 0% brightness, I can get a bit above 6 hours, before the battery hits 10%. This is with light word-processing and web-surfing, with bluetooth off.

As for the penning, since it is a glossy screen, it felt kinda slippery to me. After I switched over to the felt tips I had before from the tx2500, however, it feels very nice. Not exactly like pencil-on-paper, but then it's not as slippery as it was out of the box. A screen protector on the tm2 may further amplify the effects of the felt tip.

My tm2 had a problem though, so I'm getting a replacement unit. I just hope there are no problems with the new one.

6. beere

beere Pen Pal - Newbie

I used it once with about 50% and had also 5 hours so it shouldnt be a problem.
    About the colours I could try tomorrow at college because today I only wrote black. But with black there is absolutely no problem with reading and darkest brightness. (when I lean myself that way I would on paper writing)

I will tell you my results tomorrow.

Bye

7. Seketh

Seketh Moderator Moderator

I usually take mine to college and I can take notes with minimum brightness without a problem, but I usually leave it at about 30% since the battery life is fantastic!

8. tvu732

tvu732 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your input. It seems that so many people love the TM2 (if it works right.) :) However, there are many complaints about defective units so I'll need to be careful.

Some people asked why I want a glossy screen. Well, I think glossy screens tend to deliver crisper and more vivid images. While my 2730p is anti-glare and has good wide-view angles, it also has noticeable grains (or sparkles) in white/gray areas. And it is not as bright as I expected. Now I'm staying at the library with natural light coming through the window; I have to raise brightness to 85-90%, otherwise white will become gray. In classrooms I prefer to set it to 60-70%.

I know the 2730p is lighter, thinner, more solid and much more reliable than "consumer" tablet PCs. Typing on it is a joy too (what I'm doing now. :D) However, its lightweight is no longer an advantage because I have to bring the AC adapter with me anyway. It's thin - fine but the 1.8 inch 5400rpm HDD is slow and expensive to upgrade. And somehow calibrating pen on the edges is terrible. The only thing that I really appreciate is its reliability and 3-year international warranty. That's why I still stick to it, but I'm looking for other options.

9. fastangel

fastangel Pen Pal - Newbie

The touchpad and the viewing angle are the biggest weaknesses of the tm2. If you are really picky about the viewing angle, the tm2 is not for you. While it's a good, beautiful machine and I love it, but I don't think it's designed to be placed flat on the table for inking. The viewing angle pretty much prohibits that (yes, it's that bad). But good news is tm2 is very easy to hold especially in landscape mode (battery towards you), so it's easy and nice to ink while holding it with one hand.

10. Juke

Juke Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually I prefer using the two-finger scroling than the right scroling or finger scroling. I find it really easy to use, no problems at all.