Planet Computers Gemini PDA Android Device (WiFi + 4G LTE)

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Mr. Boosh, May 5, 2018.

1. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@Mr. Boosh pledged at IGG. Do you use a screen protector? Also, could you please link me the alternative camera module discussion, I can't find it on my own. )'=

2. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. Starlight5

@Mr. Boosh I was asking the link to the guy who tried LG Stylo, Google Pixel and other camera modules on Gemini PDA. \=

4. Mr. Boosh

Somewhere on the Facebook page man. Join it!

5. Starlight5

I hate fb and similar social media focused on selling user data. registered on fb for this info anyway, but it seems moderators don't approve me to the group... ... ...

6. Mr. Boosh

Coming up on my third month with the device, still loving it. This Friday I will be going on a small vacation and will only be taking my Gemini, USB-C charger, USB-C hub, and a thumb drive in case I need to transfer information.

Smallest and lightest device set-up I've ever used for a vacation.

Do I love it as a smartphone? I do, but I can see how others wouldn't. Do I love it as a gadget hacker-tinkerer-rooted-Android device? Hell ya.

I've backed a few other first gen products before. I still stand by my statement that it's my favorite one, and the only one I haven't sold within 30 days.

7. Mr. Boosh

Got back from my vacation. Got along just fine with nothing but the Gemini, no computer needed.

Unless you really need to do serious Adobe or other work on the go that requires a full desktop OS, this thing can absolutely replace your desktop.

Had a girl at the airport say "What is that!?!?" when we were waiting to board. After I told her I could see she was researching it on her smartphone. I really doubt I will ever see another one of these in the wild.

8. Starlight5

@Mr. Boosh any tips & tricks to share that make Gemini more user friendly? E.g. I have SmartLock enabled but also lock Gemini via voice assistant when I want. Also use t-ui launcher which takes full advantage of built-in keyboard, yet keep Planet bar for more conventional touch interactions.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  9. Mr. Boosh

Hey man, welcome aboard! It's bad, but I don't use any lock systems on my mobile devices if they're older and don't have a fingerprint reader. I know it's bad but it takes too long otherwise. I've never left a phone anywhere so it's a gamble I take, I guess.

I would get rid of that App Bar, it's a piece of crap. In the App Bar settings, disable the rotation lock they have on the device. Then download Ultimate Rotation Control (worth the cost after the trial ends) and set it to Force Auto so apps that aren't coded for Landscape will work in that orientation.

From there, I would use an alternative launcher like you have set up and utilize Button Mapper. With that program, the easiest way to do it is to disable its functionality on every single program except your launcher. Then, set up either Long Press or Short Press shortcuts to various apps or Tasker tasks. What I did is set the Long Press delay to the shortest input as possible (I think 100ms). That gives it a little longer press than the Short Press but not enough to where it feels cumbersome. This allows super fast multi-tasking. For example, if I want to open Chrome I just hit Fn+D to go home and then hit C to open Chrome. You become very fast after awhile. There's another app that some people use called Button Remapper which allows keyboard combinations, but I personally found with an app searching for keypresses on every screen and every app, it lagged after awhile, and if you use Ctrl+C for Chrome, you lose native Copy. For some reason, Button Remapper cannot read the Fn key. If it did, I might use it.

Those are my favorite tricks after awhile. My other one that's incredibly useful is my Tasker profile to automatically switch keyboards depending on screen rotation. If you want to quickly flip the device into portrait mode and use it like a regular smartphone, you have to peck away at the keyboard switcher to change the keyboard to a virtual one, then reverse everything when you switch back to landscape. The following profile automates that and uses the plugin called Secure Settings (I use Swype as my virtual keyboard, but you can switch it to SwiftKey or Gboard or whatever you prefer):

Code:
    Profile: Portrait Keyboard (4)
        State: Display Orientation [ Is:portrait ]
    Enter: Anon (7)
        A1: Secure Settings [ Configuration:Hardware Keyboard Enabled Timeout (Seconds):0 ]
        A2: Secure Settings [ Configuration:Input Method/Swype + Dragon - International Keyboard Timeout (Seconds):0 ]

Exit: Anon (8)
        A1: Secure Settings [ Configuration:Hardware Keyboard Disabled Timeout (Seconds):0 ]
        A2: Secure Settings [ Configuration:Input Method/Gemini Keyboard - English (US) Timeout (Seconds):0 ]

Are you enjoying the Gemini so far?

Starlight5 likes this.
  10. Starlight5

Did it already, but I use my Gemini horizontally exclusively, so rotation lock stays, through display settings. Thank you very much for the Button Mapper tip, I'll definitely give it a try!
    Yes, definitely. While not perfect, it still a great device overall, and Planet Computers support has been top notch so far. However, I feel that for me it rather complements smartphone than replaces it, jumping more in the laptop territory. Still, I am happy with my purchase.