Planet Computers Gemini PDA Android Device (WiFi + 4G LTE)

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Mr. Boosh, May 5, 2018.

1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So I am still using this device, typing on it right now. I can absolutely recommend it for the individual that loves having a hardware keyboard.

With root and tweaking the device a little bit to my liking, I am truly enjoying it.

I'm not even carrying a laptop around at the moment. I've gotten used to the small keyboard and basically have a little computer with me at all times. I just take it out, put it on a table, and start sending emails or doing other productivity tasks.

It's a million times better product then the GPD Pocket, in my opinion.

2. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

What makes it better than the GDP pocket for you?

3. Mr. Boosh

LTE connectivity, size, weight, speed. The GPD Pocket and every Atom device I've ever used has been disappointing for me. Even simple web browsing or OneNote would lock up. I can remote into my computer if I really need to, but unless you really need Windows, the Gemini is better in every way.

4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Make sense. Really hoping for one that has active pen support and verizon bands on something like the Gemini(ARM variant of Chrome OS is acceptable too).

5. Mr. Boosh

Found this:

LTE bands supported 1/2/3/4/5/7/12/17/20/41.
    WCDMA - 900/2100MHz, GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz and CDMA 850/1900 MHz BC0 BC1+ EVDO.

6. Mr. Boosh

I sold off my Chromebook Pixel 2 because I love this Gemini so much. It has taken place of everything except for my Vaio Z Canvas. It is my only smartphone. I have the external camera addon, but it is absolutely terrible (about the quality of a Nexus 7 tablet from 2013's camera). However, people in the community purchased some flagship camera modules and are going to see if they can hack them to work. I also hope Planet Computers eventually offers a flagship level camera.

Nonetheless, I love this thing. My favorite portable device of all time at this point. My critique of the screen quality was a little false. If you play high quality video it looks very good.

I have an unopened one I'm listing in a few places. Going to throw it up on the marketplace here to see if anyone's interested.

7. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@Mr. Boosh Is notification light working now? I was very much thrown off by lack of fingerprint reader and built-in camera. Price is another factor - I'm planning to get Xiaomi Mi Max 3 Pro as soon as it is released, and while obviously lacking built-in keyboard it will be an otherwise superior in all aspects device for ~$300 or less.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  8. Mr. Boosh

Planet Computers is still slacking on their LED app, but they've opened the hardware up to developers and there is a guy who's made an app already giving you 7 color choices for 6 different apps. I'm sure it will only get better and soon we'll be allowed to program sequences, etc.

I already sold the device, but there are plenty that have been popping up on eBay. I'd wait another month and then grab one, I think by then you'll be able to grab a use one for $400, the prices have been falling quickly.

I absolutely love this thing. Even if I decide to use a different phone, I plan to hang onto this for the long haul, there's just such a bright future for this thing because of the community and development happening, in my opinion. I'm using this as a primary device, but I'd guess most use the Gemini as a companion to their normal smartphone.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Starlight5 likes this.
  9. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@Mr. Boosh is there some camera app for Gemini that takes 4x photos and makes one out of them? This can greatly improve photo quality, especially in low light; had this even back in the day on Nokia N900, and it's available for Google Pixel, Xiaomi and some other Snadpragon-based smartphones in the form of Google Camera HDR+ and its ports?

Do they plan on adding fingerprint add-on?

I sadly wasn't able to google anything of interest about it, even alternative camera mods development - would greatly appreciate if you provide some useful links about it.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  10. Mr. Boosh

Not sure, haven't seen anything posted in the community. Open Camera and other camera apps work though

No. If they had that add-on it would be in place of the camera, but they don't.

There is a guy who purchased a few 15-pin camera modules from LG Stylo, Google Pixel, and a few others. From first posts the Stylo one works, but he didn't go into much detail yet. There may be better cameras available with some hacking, but not sure yet.

Starlight5 likes this.