Planet Computers Gemini PDA Android Device (WiFi + 4G LTE)

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Mr. Boosh, May 5, 2018.

1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Marty likes this.
  2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Looks neat. Kinda wish it had pen input like the old PDAs and maybe a 360 hinge, but I can see how this is a keyboard-centric device first.

Have you had a chance to try Linux on it? Did you get 4G version? How's the call quality, and is it awkward to hold for calling? Did you run any benchmarks/3D games?

3. Mr. Boosh

No Linux, I don't have a desire to spend the time dual-booting it and I'm not a Linux user. Call quality is quite good, speakers are loud. You can use the device closed and talk on it. Haven't run any benchmarks or games, but the device is quite snappy for day-to-day mobile usage, haven't experienced any slowdowns.

Marty likes this.
  4. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Reminds of the psion of yore.

5. Mr. Boosh

It's because it's the same company :). I have a second one that I'm trying to sell for a profit, if it doesn't sell it is available if anyone wants it.

I'm officially transferring my device to this one for a month to see if I love it. Otherwise, I won't use it except to dick around with for a few minutes once and awhile. I can tell immediately using keyboard shortcuts is a breath of fresh air on Android. Last time I was able to do that was when I had my BlackBerry Passport, since I never tried the KeyONE.

6. bloodycape

I wonder how updates will be as 8.1 has been pretty good to me and a slight improvement over 7 in terms of battery life. A part of me wanted the KeyOne for the keyboard plus the fact it has a nice size battery(for it's screen size) and the same camera module as the Nexus 5x/6p, which is really good(but that's with googles own camera software and HDR).

7. Mr. Boosh

Yea, I had a Passport for a year and a half. It was actually my favorite phone of all time, but I couldn't live without Google Voice so I switched back to Android. Haven't tried the KeyOne.

The battery on this Gemini is pretty massive, I think it will be hard to drain it for me in a day. The fact that it only has a selfie camera (they scrapped the external and offer a 5MP add-on now) will probably be a deal-breaker for me eventually.

Let's see if I actually like this thing. I may not even get through a month with it. Planet Computers is really focusing on making the device open and unlocked. There's already development and I've already rooted it and loaded my favorite Xposed modules, which I very much appreciate.

8. Mr. Boosh

Been using the device exclusively since Wednesday, I like it. The screen is not very good for movie watching. It is nice to have it propped up by the keyboard, but in darker scenes there were a lot of artifacts. Could've been the streaming service, maybe I'll try with a native video. Nonetheless, doubt anyone would purchase this with media consumption being the priority.

With some minor hacking through Tasker and figuring out how to get around the issues I don't like, I am turning it into a pretty fun little device. The BlackBerry launcher from their Android phones allows you to make custom shortcuts with physical keyboard keys, and it works perfectly on the Gemini. This opens up a lot of possibilities. A quick keyboard shortcut home and then holding down T opens up my texting app to compose a new message, same thing with E for email. Y opens YouTube, C opens Chrome, etc. The time it takes to multitask is pretty fast compared to a regular touchscreen phone.

With a text replacement app "m,," replaces that with my email address, "a,," with my address, and "p,," with my phone number. I know you can do this with a touchscreen phone, but it's a lot more satisfying with a physical keyboard.

With the clamshell closed, it's also an extra step to open it to check for notifications, so it's a nice barrier to taking out your smartphone mindlessly to check it.

It's a cool little device, I'm having fun with it and getting a lot faster on the keyboard. If you enjoy rooting Android, working with Xposed modules, and software hacking, I think you'll enjoy the Gemini.

9. bloodycape

It's tempting but software(not even major releases but just monthly security updates) have me a bit concerned(as a Nexus/Pixel user).

10. Mr. Boosh

What's funny is, I've never been worried about security issues with ROMs and builds on my mobile devices; bad, but true.

If I was still using a Nexus 7 tablet as a headunit in my truck it'd likely be running the 4.4 Auto ROM lol.