Pixelbook with Pen?

Discussion in 'Google' started by jhoff80, Sep 20, 2017.

1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

I have heard about horribly high IAF on WacomAES pen that comes with it. Will never recommend it for notetaking, unless you have a thing for pain.

2. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You can't get one officially anymore, you should just import one from the US.

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Like a used one?
    Wouldn't there be an improved model in the pipeline then?

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

4. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Chromebook Pixel 2013 > Chromebook Pixel 2015 (mine) > Pixelbook

That's the evolution, they just changed names. It'd be awesome if they revisited this design but I'm willing to bet Google will just continue with the Pixelbook.

Ya, used. If there's one you want and can't find someone to ship international, I'll gladly forward one for you.

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Appreciate that.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Edited 2-27 - I fell asleep in middle of post last nite!

I do have a thing for pain - I can't stand it! (Have lifelong chronic pain condition, so I know of what I speak!) AES pen on Pixelbook is not painful. As described below, it can be quite nice, depending upon what your alternative is. I think it's fine for note-taking if you use one of the Android apps that are optimized for Chromebook, specifically for Pixelbook. And according to @artistebot , the same is true for several Android art apps. That said, count me in with the EMR-forever gang! I'm only saying that, particularly for note-taking, some AES implementations can be quite acceptable, far better than Ntrig and functionally acceptable if less thoroughly satisfying than EMR.

I find AES is entirely dependent on the specific screen/pen hardware and - especially with Chromebooks - whether the app is optimized for an active digitizer and 10.1" + screen. Bottom line: several apps have great inking on the Chromebook Pro: Squid, Xodo, Sketchbook. That's because the Android apps are optimized for Chromebook and the S Pen/Wacom EMR is, as always, sublime. Not at all fine: One Note, especially, as of now. This can be a deal killer for many, as so many of us rely on OneNote. I find I can use other note taking apps and copy them over to ON via Windows. I've gotten used to doing that since I've started using ON on Galaxy Tabs to take notes and move them over to ON Windows for "Organization," as a great mentor here (that means you, @Kumabjorn !) has taught me.

As for the Pixelbook and AES pens, the same apps also work very well, better in fact than they do on Windows, but not quite as nicely as the CBP/S Pen. Part of the superiority of the Samsung/Chromebook/Android combo no doubt stems from Sammy's years of experience inking with S Pens on Android tablets. Another part of the superiority of this combo is that the nib on the Chromebook Pro S Pen is softer than most pens - including S Pens and other EMR pens - and the feel of that nib on Gorilla glass is just superior to all other "naked" screens + pens I've used. i find it quite easy and relatively intuitive to manage this two-step, just for One Note. The reason for going through the hassle: The PB is such a joy to do work of all kinds on, first because it's a Chromebook and second because it's the best piece of laptop kit ever made as of this writing and this relatively easy accommodation is well worth it to do most of my work on the PB and get results comparable to using all
    windows.

But let me stress: the Pixelbook's proprietary pen and the Lenovo AES pen I've tried also provide excellent inking experiences. I have little doubt that the Bamboo Ink pen would also perform well on the Pixelbook and that adding the right screen protector would make the inking experience truly excel. I'll confirm that as soon as I can. For now, I'm very tired. Catch you up as soon as I have the experience to do so, hopefully by tomorrow.

Signing out for now/

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  7. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

8. siddhartth

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. siddhartth

Google Pixelbook may receive Windows 10 certification from Microsoft https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixelbook-microsoft-windows-10/ Shared from my Google feed
    update on this: Your Google Pixelbook might be able to do something useful in near future. It might be able to run Windows 10 officially.
    Google Pixelbook may receive Windows 10 certification from Microsoft

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixelbook-microsoft-windows-10/

Shared from my Google feed